Un-shielded speakers close to the TV, what is the proper distance?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt_Smi, May 21, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I have two older floor-standing Advent speakers with 10” woofers in them, they are obviously unshielded. See the link below to see them and my setup, the pictures are outdated but it gives you an idea of the distances. Anyway measuring from the top of the woofers which are lower in the speakers to the top of my TV stand, the right speaker is around 4 feet from the TV and the left speaker is about 2 and a half feet away. Are these distances ok? I really don’t have any other options as far as placing the speakers. But the reason I ask is the TV you see in the picture developed a problem about a few month’s ago, without going into detail I got $840 back for it since I had a Circuit City service plan. This is not the problem I got the TV replaced for, but on my the old TV in the right hand corner there was a darker almost black cloud that was only noticeable on light screens, such as when watching hockey. I pointed this out to the tech that looked at my TV and he said that it is probably because my speaker is too close to the TV. But if this was the case wouldn’t the black cloud also be in the left corner? As the left speaker is closer to the TV than the right. Right now I am using a 27” Sharp TV that was at college and the speakers do not seem to be affecting it at all, I don’t see any black clouds and such. So I am guessing the black cloud on my old Sony was due to something else? Anyway I plan on spending the $800 of store credit I got on a new (hopefully HD) TV before the end of the summer, and I want to make sure that my speakers are not close enough to cause any damage. I think they are ok, as my TV is pretty high up (top of the TV stand is 29”) and my speakers woofers are much lower near the ground, plus the speakers are still a fair distance away from the TV, esp. the right. Anyway check out the picture and yet me know what you think, another thing about the picture is that the left speaker is actually now pulled out a bit father from the TV stand. Thanks.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...98_19_full.jpg

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Absolute minimum distance should be 2ft and at the point where you no longer see any colour distortions.

3. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

the best test is to put them where you want them and look for color/geometry problems. you might try rotating the speakers a bit to look for minor problems.

btw, great choice of speakers! see mine:

[​IMG]

the parts might look familiar [​IMG]

ag.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What kind of TV are you looking at?

This makes a big impact. First off, only CRTs will be affected, and assuming a smaller budget I assume you are going with a direct view, in which case the body of the TV is the tube itself, so you do need to be a bit away, and I will concur with Neil, a foot or two would be a good minimum depending on the speaker, etc.

An CRT-based RPTV as pictured by andy is different, because the tubes are not the body of the TV itself, there are three down at the bottom front of the set, so you can probably be much closer to the TV than with a direct view.

Displays that don't use CRTs, like a lot of newer RPTVs won't suffer from magnetic fields in the same way. Certainly any electronic device may be affected by really strong fields, so I don't go so far as to say that they won't be affected at all, but it is 99% likely that such a display won't suffer any kind of problem, since they don't use an electron beam like a CRT, which is very easily disturbed by magnetic fields.

Also read this thread from a day or two ago:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=197660

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Andy, Nice Advents, but I have to ask what is that smaller one with what looks like an Advent tweeter on top of your TV, a center speaker? Chirs, I will be getting another direct view CRT, in fact it will probably be the new 27” HD Sony that will be coming out soon.

6. Andy Goldstein

yes, its 1/2 of the center channel system. here is a shot during construction:

[​IMG]

sure does a job of anchoring the dialog to the tv!

ag.

7. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

That’s a neat setup; I am assuming that you built the centers yourself? I am currently running no center, as seen in the picture because I can’t buy one that will be matched or sound right with the Advents, I am assuming that is why you built yours. After I get a new receiver and DVD player this summer, the next step will be to start looking into new speakers, I already have a HSU STF-2 so the sub is out of the way, but my surrounds are cheap Sony’s and need to go. I am already starting to look at Axioms lineup; they seem like nice speakers for the price. But I bet it won’t be until this time next year until I will be able to buy new speakers. I will defiantly hang onto the Advents though and they will hopefully someday be used again in a 2 channel stereo setup for music only.

8. Andy Goldstein

yeah, i built it all myself. doubles too. and i am in the process of assembling a set of custom smaller advents for the left and right rear surrounds. the side surrounds will probably remain 2 pairs of radio shack minimus-7s, painted to match the walls. they are installed over the triple window on the left, and the archway to the dining room on the right. i always thought the m7s sounded very much like the advents, minus the bass of course.

oh yeah, the double center channel replaced an advent center channel i got on ebay. they show up there all the time. sounded sorta like the big advents, but a pair of 4 inchers just aint gonna keep up!

no replacement for displacement!!!

have fun with your system, and keep those advents crankin' out the tunes!

ag.

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've got Advent Legacies from 1987. The foam around the 10" woofers is rotted. I haven't gotten around to refoaming them. Any of you with old Advents had to refoam them?

10. Andy Goldstein

EVERYBODY with old advents has had to or needs to refoam them! [​IMG] the foam lasts 10-12 years. lots of places to get it, should cost 25-30 bux with shipping. less on ebay if you are patient. i have done several of them, no sweat. just pay attention to which direction the roll of the foam should face. and dont substitute butyl (rubber) for the foam. different compliance, and it will change the sound.

lots of advent info here:

http://www.arsenal.net/dc/dcboard.ph...topics&forum=5

enjoy!

ag.

11. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Yea, only CRTs do this and mine does it as well. However, mine will discolor, usually a green or magenta blob at the bottom corner or top corner. You can lean the speaker towards the tv to see it grow and disappear as you move the speaker away. This is not a permanent issue (or so I was told). It is caused by the magnet polarizing the metal plate in the CRT and causing it to move. The metal plate kinda hangs there as I understand it which is why the blob will grow and shrink depending on distance of the speaker. Turning my set off for a minute or two would clear the blob.

Now maybe it's only newer TVs that are unharmed permanently, but if it stays I'd worry. Also, my speakers are about 1 1/2 feet away form both sides, center channel is shielded.

12. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Ok I never really got a 100% awnser here, but are the distances I have ok?

13. Andy Goldstein

100% answer: if the picture is not affected by the placement of the speakers, they are far enough away.

ag.

14. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Ok sounds good, I bet that the "black cloud" on my old WEGA was not caused by the speakers then, because my current Sharp is showing no such thing.

15. Andy Goldstein

then you are good to go! enjoy the toys!

ag.