TV Interference

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ChipD, Mar 22, 2004.

1. ChipD

ChipD Extra

I have a JVC tube tv that was showing interference from my unshielded speakers when I placed them next to the set (corners of the tv were turning dark and had a slight hint of red and green). However, after i turned off my tv for the afternoon (leaving tv and speakers exactly where they were with the interference) and returned later that day, the interference was gone when i turned on the tv. Nothing! is this unusual? It's like the tv calibrated itself to account for the megnetic interference. will the interference return? i was going to move my speakers to a different location, but now it looks like they aren't causing any problems. why would this happen? thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your JVC's degaussing circuit kicks in when you plug the unit and power it up. However, that chroma distortion will return and can become permanent should you keep those unshielded speakers too close to the set. Remove them immediately. Seriously, you will ruin your JVC otherwise.

3. ChipD

ChipD Extra

When will the distortion return? After I keep on the TV for a certain amount of time? If the TV degausses every time I turn it on, how would know there was a problem if I hadn't noticed the interference the first time I turned on the TV (it's a small amount of interference)? If I don't see interference in the corners anymore, how do I know it is damaging the TV? Also, if the interference returns, will it increase over time or stay the same? Right now it is minimal and I wouldn't notice unless I was looking for interference. Over time will the interference become worse?

I know i have a lot of questions, so thanks again for the help!

4. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

What Jack said. Move the speakers. I doubt that anyone can tell you exactly how long it will take for the distortion to get worse, but the speakers are clearly too close.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Move your speakers further away. When they are on, they will also create more magnetic fields (that's how speakers work).