Time to buy new speakers again..(long post)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Nick Laho, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

The school year has just ended and now I begin my summer job working at my dad's hardware store. I plan to be making at least $1200 this year and have been dreaming of replacing my rather beat up speakers. (K05B50's from speakerpage.com, Discontinued now..) Here is the deal with my current speakers: One of the K05's woofers blew while using the pair as rear speakers in our basement HT. I tore off all of the fabric that was permanently glued to the cabinet and replaced the driver with the same one. The problem is, they didn't have the EXACT same one, and the one I had to purchase was the unshielded version. So now one of my speakers is unshielded, and it is extrememly inconvenient. So next I painted the cabinets black, unfortunately the paint didn't hold up and there are plenty of nicks and dents and scrapes all over the cabinets. In short, I need new speakers!(and one of the ports fell out, Hehe..)

So this is what I am thinking of: I am VERY seriously interested in Ascend Acoustics. I am looking at the CBM-170 as the perfect replacement for the K05's, similiar size, and most likely much better sound.

I am also very seriously considering some Magnepan lower end speakers. I KNOW, big difference between CBM's and Magnepan. I am very curious about what people say about the Magnepan's ability to reproduce the size of instruments, and the detail they can bring out of the music. I'd like a taste of this sound for sure, but I have some placement issues. I don't think I can bring the speakers any more than two feet from the rear wall, and they would be pretty close to the side walls as well. I also couldn't listen more than 6 or 7 feet away. As you can see it is pretty constrained. [​IMG]

My budget covers more than just speakers though. I also have to get a new Cd player. I will be purchasing a NAD player as I already have a C370 amplifier(120W per channel) So the cd player will run me about 200 to 500 dollars( I think) based on which model I get. So that leaves me at least $700 dollars for a pair of speakers.

So I could get the CBM-170's and the matching stands for about $450, and have no placement issues, or go with Magnepan and possibly get the MMG for $550 and have a whole load of placement issues. I know the CBM's with work out, but the Magnepan is extremely interesting and I was wondering what you all thought about my situation.

I have the Adire Rava subwoofer and it serves me well, so no problem there.

2. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

I am going to bump this with some more information: I like to listen to a lot of Rock music anywhere from soft rock to Heavy Metal and EVERYTHING in between.(from the 1960's to now) I also like to listen to female stuff like Sarah Mclaughlan, Norah Jones, Alanis Morissette, and a few others. Also I love to listen to soundtracks to movies. I am talking like the Titanic soundtrack, and the Hours soundtrack, stuff a little different like the KPAX soundtrack. In short, I listen to most everything except COUNTY! And I love to listen Loud.

My room size is about 12x14 feet and is currently occupied by a large water bed, my computer desk, and my guitar, amplifier, and keyboard. I have a lot of crap in here, and my space for the speakers is rather small.[​IMG]

3. Nick Laho

Nick Laho Extra

Im feeling ignored here.. Does my post not interest you people or something? Some information you might need to answer my question?[​IMG]

4. TristanC

TristanC Auditioning

with $700 dollars you speaker choices are fairly wide open and I wouldn't necessarily restrict myself to just those to brands. particularily the magnepans, which are very good speakers and a respectible name, but might be more trouble than they are worth with regards to placement and the like. 700 puts you in B&W 600 series range, which are very well respected for their cost/performance ratio. You could go for a pair of standmounters DM601 s2/s3 and still have money left over to possibly buy a preamp or power amp to go with your system.

with regards to the nad gear I think your right on the money they have good stuff at very reasonable prices.

5. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Nick, another option would be a pair of Ascend Acoustics CMT-340s with the matching stands. I have two pairs of CBM-170s with a CMT-340c center and Hsu VTF-2 sub and I'm very pleased with them. The Maggies are very nice speakers also but as you've mentioned there are placement issues with them. You might try posting on the Ascend forum and I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Its located at www.ascendforum.com

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Saturday Audio Exchange (www.saturdayaudio.com) has killer deals on the NAD C541i CD Player (HDCD) for $299 and the C521i for $199.
    That would give you an extra $200-$300 for speakers.