What's new

Universal (1 Viewer)

richard-rw

Auditioning
I don't understand Universal;they release a lot of filler and garbage and two of its classic titles go unreleased...
The Incredible Shrinking Man and Lonely Are The Brave.

I emailed them regarding TISM and got a form letter in response stating that their are no immediate plans for it's release. I guess Airport 77 is a much more important title.

I understand that these are business decisions, but I'm sure they could find room for these titles on their release schedule.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'd certainly buy 'Lonely Are The Brave' in a heartbeat. It's a classic, and I believe Kirk Douglas is on record as saying it's his favourite of all the movies he made.

Benn

Stunt Coordinator
richard-rw,
What "filler and garbage" has Universal released lately? I'm curious as to what their new releases are.
Some of what I'm looking for, (THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES -1946 & SAME TIME, NEXT YEAR -1978) others might call garbage.
Please direct me to their release information.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for Richard, but as a fan of classic cinema I can only hope that Universal can manage to release titles such as -

The Incredible Shrinking Man
Lonely Are The Brave
This Gun For Hire
The Glass Key
Ministry of Fear
The Blue Dahlia
The Big Clock
Phantom Lady
The Love Parade
If I Had A Million

after the recent release of the following titles, whose merits for me are dubious at best -

For Love or Money
Hard To Hold
Gotcha!
Kuffs
Playing For Keeps
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

While I realize that the second list of titles has its fans, as a fan of classic cinema in general, and noir in particular, it disturbs me to no end to see any number of acknowledged classics languish while lesser (IMHO) films have their day on DVD. Oh well.

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Frankly I can't keep up with what studios have the rights to what. But, of the titles mentioned, I'd kill for

This Gun For Hire
The Blue Dahlia
The Time of Their Lives
Same Time, Next Year

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Of the below Universal DVD's I seek, the greatest mystery's WHY "The Sting" hasn't been released in the OAR!!!!!!

1.Belarus File, The
2.Black Shield of Falworth, The
3.Bride of Frankenstein, The
4.Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman
5.Ghost of Frankenstein
6.House of Dracula
7.House of Frankenstein
8.Mummy, The (Karloff)
9.Son of Frankenstein
10.Sting, The (OARRRRRRRRR)
10.To Hell and Back

Bob Engleman

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal lately has absolutely topped my shit list of studios either releasing bad product, redundant product, or very little product. I am hoping they will experience a Warner Bros-like renaissance and climb out of this bottomless pit they've been in for years. They were doing well in the days of their (overpriced) Collector's DVD's early on, but other than an occasional group of terrific releases (the westerns, the Bob Hope films, etc.), they've been pretty much MIA. Where the hell are all their sci-fi and horror films? THE STING? OAR releases of PARENTHOOD and others?

With Vivendi's upcoming acquisition by NBC, is it possible that we will see some of these catalog titles get released, or the rights sold off?

I have gotten the4 same form email when I request D.C. Cab . This movie was re-released on VHS under Uni's Favorites banner in 2001, with a cleaner print, so I had hoped that a DVD (even bare-bones) would be on its way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks