What's new

Universal reducing the pricing of HD DVDs (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Wow, already price reduction and it's only what, less than three months. Interesting to see the future by 9 months to see where the HD format stands. Tempting, since it will be a while before I have anything that will do 1080p as well as the new sound formats, may not be a bad step to take as far as jumping into it early. If I see a price tag of 300 to 350 I can get it with out questions from the wife :rolleyes:.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Then be sure to tell her you'll need to get another $1000 to watch all the other movies you/she want to see that aren't on HD. That will be a fun discussion. ;) :laugh:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Kind of funny there is a price drop of the Toshiba when some said the price of the player would rise as the year went on. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

who said that?

when do prices of specific equipment go up?

alwaysgoes down not up

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

There were a number of people (on AVS) in the Blu-ray thread who made these claims. They insisted that HD DVD was just as expensive as Blu-ray to manufacture and therefore Toshiba could not sustain such huge loses and would have to increase the price of the player by the end of the year to have a chance.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so no real source on that then.
just speculation by a few people.

i dont see why anyone would say the price would go up for a player already on the market.
it never happens and surprising anyone would even give credence to such theory.

same thing as most video game systems like ps2 and xbox.
they never go up only down.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer BD player has dropped $300US, before its release!!!
Isn't HD on disc, amotherfriggingmazing?!?!?!?!?!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm considering a value-conscious plan to essentially buy the losing format.

2nd gen HD-DVD players will sell for around $400 later this year and will serve as excellent 1080p upscale players (currently only have a 480p player).

During the first year or two, I will use the player for upconversion only.

When HD-DVD is eventually phased out, all HD-DVD titles will be clearanced for $10-$15.

Since 1080p is 1080p, these titles will not need to be replaced anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I'll eventually get a PS3 w/ HDMI and buy used Blu-Ray movies at GameStop for around $15.

I'm not planning on repurchasing all of my DVD titles, but eventually maybe half when the price is right.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't you forget the smiley faces?? You WERE joking, I assume, otherwise it just sounds a tad arrogant, since HD DVD is a better format at the moment... ;)

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor

Really? You mean they increased their studio support by 4 studios and increased their capacity to 50 gigs without a press release?

Or did you forget that HD-DVD is inferior in studio support, capacity, and future capacity again?

I'm seriously begining to wonder how much Toshiba's paying you.

I also have to point out, since it's off in another thread and I don't doubt you'll try to misrepresent things again, 50 gigabyte BR writables and rewritables are already available today, so BR has the studio support and the capacity.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Can we please, not go there again! I'm sick and tired of all this bickering and accusations about who's misrepresenting what.

Crawdaddy

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah I don't understand this rabid devotion to technology. I am on the sidelines looking in as I will wait to see what happens with both formats. I've liked what I've seen with HD-DVD so far, I can't speak to Blue Ray because it's not out yet. So I can't see how people can get so fired up by Specs for something that, until it's released , is npthing but Vaporware. Soon we'll all get to see and hear Blue Ray, and we can make an informed decision. Until then it's empty arguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks