What's new

Universal preparing THE MARX BROTHERS and MOVIE MONSTERS 2 COLLECTIONS and MORE for HD! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Lots of great news there, but the Marx Brothers and My Man Godfrey restorations have me incredibly excited. Finally! Hope some amazing Blu-ray releases will follow sooner rather than later.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Also - re: My Man Godfrey and Shanghai Express. I wonder if these would be handed over to Criterion for the potential BD releases since they did so on DVD?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
moovtune said:
Just to be clear - a 4K restoration doesn't necessarily mean a blu-ray release is coming. That isn't mentioned in the Q2 report.

True. But the cost of putting them out on BD after the restoration/remastering costs have already been spent is minimal. At that point it's a way to recoup the investment to some degree.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Ronald Epstein said:
Keith,

Something tells me that was information not meant to go out wide.

Generally speaking, all studios keep release information tightly to their chest.
Which is why I'm a bit nervous about your thread title indicating everything is coming to Blu-ray and that's not my intention of posting the info. Only that things are being worked in the restoration area.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Excellent news on the Marx Brothers - I love both the Paramount (Universal owned) and MGM ones, but hopefully one studio releasing one set will encourage the other to do the same. Either way, for too long "Love Happy" has been their only movie on Blu so at least that status quo can change soon.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Brandon Conway said:
Also - re: My Man Godfrey and Shanghai Express. I wonder if these would be handed over to Criterion for the potential BD releases since they did so on DVD?
Total speculation on my part, but I would guess no. Criterion released the Spartacus DVD, but Universal just announced it is releasing the 4K restoration Blu-ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ron, just to be clear - a 4K restoration doesn't necessarily mean a blu-ray release is coming. That isn't mentioned in the Q2 report.
Yeah, I was thinking that, but it's a strong(ish) possibility of some great releases next year, that'll do. I wonder what the story with One-Eyed Jacks is? Probably some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Rob Willey said:
Total speculation on my part, but I would guess no. Criterion released the Spartacus DVD, but Universal just announced it is releasing the 4K restoration Blu-ray.
Spartacus is a far easier film for Universal to market themselves, though.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Josh Steinberg said:
Excellent news on the Marx Brothers - I love both the Paramount (Universal owned) and MGM ones, but hopefully one studio releasing one set will encourage the other to do the same. Either way, for too long "Love Happy" has been their only movie on Blu so at least that status quo can change soon.
Paramount, yes. We were talking about Universal releasing them and I forgot for a second that their early films were actually through Paramount. Thanks!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bigshot said:
FINALLY! Marx Brothers! I hope Horsefeathers isn't the edited version Uni has been putting out for the past couple of decades.
I don't think they released edited versions by choice. If they found missing footage from some of those Marx Brothers films it would be major news so I wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ronald Epstein said:
We have been BEGGING Universal for a Marx Brothers Blu-ray collection for years.

I knew the elements were in bad shape. Looks like Universal took their time with this and we may see an exceptional release of their very best films.

As Groucho says in Animal Crackers:

"Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west, and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know."

What I know is that all of the re-mastered Marx Bothers and Universal monster films on BD will be pre-ordered as soon as there's a link here. :)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
JoeDoakes said:
I don't think they released edited versions by choice. If they found missing footage from some of those Marx Brothers films it would be major news so I wouldn't get your hopes up on that.

The footage was edited by Universal for television release. If they go back to Paramount's elements, hopefully it will be there.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I read last year the Universal was working on their 1950's Sci-Fi films for a Blu-ray box set release. Anyone know if that will happen? Meanwhile I'm in for the monster films .

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas R said:
What connection does Universal have with Paramount's ONE-EYED JACKS?
My thoughts as well. Public domain maybe, but the official owner is still Paramount?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Nick Eden said:
My thoughts as well. Public domain maybe, but the official owner is still Paramount?
I thought Universal purchased all of the pre 1956 films from Paramount @ the start of the VCR era, accept the Cecil B DeMille films?.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
I'd be VERY interested in restored versions of those Marx Bros films, but only if they are properly packaged. That means no cardboard sleeves.... has to be regular plastic cases.

PS: Universal really should release the 1933 film MYRT & MARGE, if only on MOD. Three Stooges fans would eat that title up as it's about as good as it gets during the Healy era.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
moovtune said:
Ron, just to be clear - a 4K restoration doesn't necessarily mean a blu-ray release is coming. That isn't mentioned in the Q2 report.

Right. I'd agree that it makes a blu-ray release more likely, but that doesn't make it inevitable, let alone imminent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks