What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Universal Music To (Finally) Releases Mercury Living Presence SACDs (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Very cool news. I suspect they'll crossover the 3-channel into a 3.1 mix so that folks without proper bass management can get low bass.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks Seth. This is superb news for classical hirez. :D

I have a bunch of these discs on redbook. I highly recommend the Byron Janis recordings and the Balalaika.

Most excitingly, these new SACD discs will also include a 3-channel transfer of the original 3-track recordings, as well as a new DSD stereo mix. This will be the first opportunity for Mercury Living Presence enthusiasts to hear their favourite recordings in the original 3-track format.
It's funny, I speculated in April with Michael Hobson at Classical Records that trifield recordings would be perfect for surround since you would be listening to the three original mic tracks with no special mixing needed. You could add room tone (ambience) to the surround speakers as well.

In any event, I bet these will sound wonderful. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And I'm glad that the Starker set of the Bach is in the first cycle. I'll certainly get that along with the Dorati Firebird and the Janis Rachmaninov.

Man this is big news but this thread got buried quickly.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks