What's new

Universal Music commits to SACD ! (1 Viewer)

Greg Cellini

Agent
Greetings,
I think we all need to take a few steps back on this SACD vs. DVD-Audio nonsense. At this point there exists no available media with which to perform a VIABLE comparison. Therefore, anyone's opinion on which format "sounds better" is completely subjective and void of any valid point-of-reference. I've watched apparently intelligent, articulate individuals vehemently defend the SONIC PERFORMANCE of each format based on NOTHING MORE than information acquired from print?!?!?!?
Let us all consider that CD-Audio, given the current technology of ADCs and DACs, is very, VERY good. It's come a long way from the equipment I was using in the studio 10 years ago. And even then, when compared next to an analog 15IPS master, it sounded really close; to some, identical. BASED ON THIS, let me put forth some rhetorical questions. From CD-audio to SACD/DVD-Audio; how significant is the AUDIBLE improvement? Given that answer, what AUDIBLE differences, if any (for ordinary human beings), exist between DVD-audio and SACD.
Also consider that almost every professional and semi-professional recorder, tape or virtual, of which I know, uses a linear PCM format, the majority of those being 24/96. Those of you who support the SACD format would do well to consider that some of your existing and most of any future releases were (will be) ultimately converted from 24/96 PCM. Given this situation, any advantages that SACD supporters claim over DVD-Audio(slim as they may or may not be) are completely invalid. Just something to think about. SACD or DVD-Audio, the majority (certainly not all) of the music you currently listen to originated from a PCM source. The majority (certainly not all) of the music you will be listening to, at least in the foreseeable future, will originate from a 24/96 PCM source.
Respectfully submitted,
Greg Cellini

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Greg, I own a DVD-Audio player (Technics DVD-A10) and two SACD players (Sony SCD-777ES and SCD-C333ES). In my opinion, both formats can be significantly better than CD, but it depends on the recording. For poorly recorded and/or remastered music, SACD and DVD-Audio will not afford a significant improvement. On less transparent equipment, the improvement may be inaudible. That brings up the point of having the right equipment (speakers, amp, pre-amp). So, these new formats cannot work miracles with lesser recordings or with associated equipment that isn't up to the task. Also, the improvement afforded by these formats is not as evident for the better recordings, as they sound very good on CD. The improvements are there, however. All in all, I find that DVD-Audio and SACD work magic on the intermediate quality recordings. In my experience, there are few recordings where these formats do not show an improvement over the CD. Again, improvements can be subtle, but they are there.
From my experience, SACD is better than DVD-Audio, but I realize that this is not a fair comparison. As you stated, we don't have like software to compare the two formats. Also, my SACD players are better audio components than my DVD-Audio player (though the 'A10 is quite good). I will say that I prefer SACD at this juncture, but I cannot say that SACD is inherently better.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

RicP

Screenwriter
Greg,
With regards to your first paragraph..
Which systems have you personally heard and which do you personally own?
I have BOTH DVD-Audio and SACD in my system, and I can say most certainly that SO FAR SACD runs rings around DVD-Audio in terms of quality and depth of experience.
Also, SACD will almost always be preferable for recordings that exist on analog tape. And you'd be amazed at the number of sessions that have been recorded using Direct Stream Digital in the last 6-7 years.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Since we are caught in the middle of the format war, we can only wait it out. The prices of these machines are so low that you may be able to afford both (if there is enough software that YOU want to buy).
The proof will be in the pudding, might as well wait until it's fully cooked. :)
rw

Greg Cellini

Agent
Robert,
Exactly my point, although much more succinctly stated.
Keith, excellent post-well stated.
I see by some of the above replies (everything has been very civil thus far. Kudos to all) that some of you have already arrived at your own conclusions. That's great. State your opinions-everyone certainly has a right to do so. That is, in fact, why these Forums exist. However, until there exists an identical mix of a track, orginating from the same analog master, in both DVD-Audio and SACD formats, streaming through identical systems, the entire discussion of which format "sounds better" is nothing more than subjective bias...
...and I'll be damned if I'm gonna eat my pudding before it's cooked :)
Cheers,
Greg

Steve_D

Second Unit
I didn't post to re-hash the format war, I posted because right now whoever (SACD or DVD-A) gets the most software is the winner to me, and when a major (in fact world's largest) music label starts supporting either, it's a win for all of us.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks