What's new

*Dark Side of the Moon* on SACD! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
According to audiorevolution.com:

Two sources close to AudioRevolution.com have confirmed that Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon will be released on the SACD format on March 3, 2003 – the 30th anniversary of the album’s original release. Sources say that Sony reached out the band, convincing them to do an SACD version of the record and is likely paying for part or all of the production costs of the new 5.1 mix. The title is likely to be officially announced at Sony’s SACD event at the upcoming CES show on January 9, 2003.

EMI has 6 more SACD titles coming in the next few months from artists like Nora Jones, Cassandra Wilson, John Coltrane and others. Does this mean EMI has jumped the fence in the format war between DVD-Audio and SACD like Universal Music Group? “No” says one source at EMI. The SACD deals were done before EMI committed to DVD-Audio as their predominant format and were compelling to the label because Sony paid for part, if not all, of the production costs for the titles.

Confusion is still king with consumers and label executives alike which fuels the on-going format war. Execs don’t want make the wrong decision about who to support but more than anything have to return to profitability to keep their jobs. With Sony willing and ready to cover the cost of development of titles on SACD, that format can often be tempting to labels looking to test the water of high resolution audio. At the same time, the parent companies of the record labels make billions of dollars each year selling DVD-Video titles and know full-well the consumer success of the DVD format. They would love to parlay the success of DVD-Video to DVD-Audio. The result is a mess of weakly constructed political alliances, poor dealer support and even worse consumer support. A breakthrough needs to be made soon to develop some consumer momentum for one of the two formats or both DVD-A and SACD might be destined to be a niche player to the CD, DVD-Video disc or the mysterious blue laser disc.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Keith, thanks for the update. I wonder which division of Sony reached out. Sony Music has lots of stuff in their own catalog they can put out. Maybe 2003 will see hybrids and more of their titles.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I wonder who at Sony was able to get Pink Floyd. I am hoping for big things in '03. It is looking like 03/03/03 is going to be a big day! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I think it's too early to say one way or the other. The SACD will not be released by Sony Music, so it could be a hybrid. As you may know, Universal has released some SACDs as hybrids and some as single-layer discs. Hopefully Universal will have the sense to release it as a hybrid. Regardless, I expect Universal will release a remastered CD on 03/03/03.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
OK, Keith...anybody who released it as a non-hybrid would be daft. Competing versions is a bad plan if you ask me (I did stdy marketing), when one disc could do it all. Super Audio CD isn't going to be super until the software lives up to the format's promise. Best wishes!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
All of my recent Universals are single layer but Keith is right... There are some Classical & Jazz Hybrids from Universal affiliates.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Well since I'm waiting for that combo player that is in my price range I guess I'm in the DVDA "camp"(I love DVDA's that have a DTS track). Now having said that I have nothing against SACD in fact I'm looking forward to the day I have a SACD capable player. My wish is that EMI can put a DTS surround track on DSOTM, or is this impossible. Most of my equipment is Sony but I would be hard-pressed to buy two players so I can play both formats. Will it be "cold day in hell" the day Sony puts out a machine that plays DVDA??? Will EMI put DSOTM out in both DVDA and SACD??? So many questions and no answers yet. Guess I'll have to wait. Or come into some serious money :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If this news is really true, Pink Floyd just screwed themselves out of extra income and most "Pinkies" will never get to hear DSOTM in surround sound. And spare me the "hi-rez stereo" argument--non-audio people DON'T CARE about this.
LJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this disc is a Hybrid. If they are going to put out a remastered CD, they might as well give us CD/Hi-res Stereo/Hi-res Surround all on one disc. Of course even a Hybrid SACD robs the masses of a multi-channel mix, but since Sony is apparently financing the project, turning a big profit will not be a necessity. This could just be another rumor, but from the looks of it, it may be true.

J

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:
I want it!
EMI has 6 more SACD titles coming in the next few months from artists like Nora Jones, Cassandra Wilson, John Coltrane and others.
Now this is also intriguing. Another Coltrane title on SACD? Sweet.
And Wilson and Jones would be excellent as well.
NP: The Clash, London Calling

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'll take it either format...sure it will sound great no matter what.

It sure looks good as a SACD.

Here's hoping the disc happens by that date.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Great news! Couldn't care less if it's a hybrid or not. This is already available on cd in numerous incarnations, of course, for those who need it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Can SACD feature multiple multichannel mixes? I really would be interested in hearding the original quad mix in addidion to a "new" 5.1 mix. I'll buy it nonetheless.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
All,
Based on everything I have read, the only multi-channel mix that can be provided as per the SACD specs. is a DSD high-resolution track. I am not aware of provisions for an SACD to carry Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 tracks. However, I may be incorrect. The SACD specs. do allow for video content, though this feature is not being implemented at present.
Mike,
The Sony 09.02 SACD catalog shows John Coltrane Blue Train. Hopefully that one is coming to SACD soon. Gee, I could compare it to my MFSL gold CD, Ultimate Blue Train CD, and DAD. Blue Train for me is becoming like Kind of Blue. :)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sources say that Sony reached out the band, convincing them to do an SACD version of the record and is likely paying for part or all of the production costs of the new 5.1 mix. The title is likely to be officially announced at Sony’s SACD event at the upcoming CES show on January 9, 2003.
Great news!!! :emoji_thumbsup:
Now will people believe me when I speculated that it could very well be on Super Audio?
Or when I say that EMI has been doing Super Audio discs overseas?
This, on the heels of the Stones releases, will put lots of pressure on the DVDA camp.
The only thing that concerns me is the source is Audio Revolution which has been terribly inaccurate at best. They were saying all along that it was a DVDA release. What happened?

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Let's just wait and see if it doesn't appear on both formats like Bryan Ferry's EMI release "Frantic".
The dopes at Sony may just have some exclusivity for a little while.
Oh yeah! And wasn't it Lee who said Audio Revolution had a definate bias toward DVD-A. Oh well.
As a side note - I remember a conversation with a store manager at Circuit City a few years back that said "Saving Private Ryan" will never be released on DVD. "Why, that's a DIVX exclusive!" He stated!
Where's your DIVX now, see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks