*Dark Side of the Moon* on SACD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Dec 27, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

According to audiorevolution.com:

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Oh, I forgot this:
    [c][​IMG][/c]
    [c][​IMG][/c]

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith, thanks for the update. I wonder which division of Sony reached out. Sony Music has lots of stuff in their own catalog they can put out. Maybe 2003 will see hybrids and more of their titles.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, I wonder who at Sony was able to get Pink Floyd. I am hoping for big things in '03. It is looking like 03/03/03 is going to be a big day! [​IMG]

5. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

the dark side sacd won't be a hybrid...or will it?

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I think it's too early to say one way or the other. The SACD will not be released by Sony Music, so it could be a hybrid. As you may know, Universal has released some SACDs as hybrids and some as single-layer discs. Hopefully Universal will have the sense to release it as a hybrid. Regardless, I expect Universal will release a remastered CD on 03/03/03.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    If it isn't a hybrid, the Sony Corporation hasn't an ounce of sense, me thinks![​IMG]

8. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    OK, Keith...anybody who released it as a non-hybrid would be daft. Competing versions is a bad plan if you ask me (I did stdy marketing), when one disc could do it all. Super Audio CD isn't going to be super until the software lives up to the format's promise. Best wishes!

9. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

All of my recent Universals are single layer but Keith is right... There are some Classical & Jazz Hybrids from Universal affiliates.

10. Steve Meskell

Steve Meskell Second Unit

Well since I'm waiting for that combo player that is in my price range I guess I'm in the DVDA "camp"(I love DVDA's that have a DTS track). Now having said that I have nothing against SACD in fact I'm looking forward to the day I have a SACD capable player. My wish is that EMI can put a DTS surround track on DSOTM, or is this impossible. Most of my equipment is Sony but I would be hard-pressed to buy two players so I can play both formats. Will it be "cold day in hell" the day Sony puts out a machine that plays DVDA??? Will EMI put DSOTM out in both DVDA and SACD??? So many questions and no answers yet. Guess I'll have to wait. Or come into some serious money [​IMG]

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

If this news is really true, Pink Floyd just screwed themselves out of extra income and most "Pinkies" will never get to hear DSOTM in surround sound. And spare me the "hi-rez stereo" argument--non-audio people DON'T CARE about this.
    LJ

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Hopefully this disc is a Hybrid. If they are going to put out a remastered CD, they might as well give us CD/Hi-res Stereo/Hi-res Surround all on one disc. Of course even a Hybrid SACD robs the masses of a multi-channel mix, but since Sony is apparently financing the project, turning a big profit will not be a necessity. This could just be another rumor, but from the looks of it, it may be true.

J

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

[​IMG]
    I want it!

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'll take it either format...sure it will sound great no matter what.

It sure looks good as a SACD.

Here's hoping the disc happens by that date.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Can SACD feature multiple multichannel mixes? I really would be interested in hearding the original quad mix in addidion to a "new" 5.1 mix. I'll buy it nonetheless.

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All,
    Based on everything I have read, the only multi-channel mix that can be provided as per the SACD specs. is a DSD high-resolution track. I am not aware of provisions for an SACD to carry Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 tracks. However, I may be incorrect. The SACD specs. do allow for video content, though this feature is not being implemented at present.
    Mike,
    The Sony 09.02 SACD catalog shows John Coltrane Blue Train. Hopefully that one is coming to SACD soon. Gee, I could compare it to my MFSL gold CD, Ultimate Blue Train CD, and DAD. Blue Train for me is becoming like Kind of Blue. [​IMG]

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Oh yes, let's hope they use the proper UK Harvest original master, not the bastard US versions the Capitol releases were based on.
    [​IMG]

19. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Let's just wait and see if it doesn't appear on both formats like Bryan Ferry's EMI release "Frantic".
    The dopes at Sony may just have some exclusivity for a little while.
    Oh yeah! And wasn't it Lee who said Audio Revolution had a definate bias toward DVD-A. Oh well.
    As a side note - I remember a conversation with a store manager at Circuit City a few years back that said "Saving Private Ryan" will never be released on DVD. "Why, that's a DIVX exclusive!" He stated!
    Where's your DIVX now, see.