What's new

DSD playback with Oppo 980 and Integra (1 Viewer)

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I have my Oppo 980 connected to an Integra 9.8. I purchased both of these last year and was able to play multichannel SACD as DSD at that time via the HDMI connection.

Recently I tried playing Dark Side of the Moon and noticed that it was only two channel and listed as stero on the Integra display. I managed to get everything working when I enabled the HDMI audio passthru on the Integra 9.8, but that seems to also disable all of the audio processing for other audio formats transferred via HDMI.

I disabled HDMI audio passthru and now I am hearing obnoxious noise from my speakers when I try and play SACD. I rechecked all the settings and I can't decide what settings will restore this function. Does anyone have a checklist or suggestion for how to solve this problem?

thanks,

John

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have an Oppo 980H that is HDMI-attached to a Pioneer Elite 94TXH receiver without any issues using DSD for multi-channel. Here are some of my audio settings on the Oppo:

Downmix to 5.1
Digital Output to Raw
HDMI to Auto
Prologic II to Off

Also, make sure your video output resolution is at least 720p -- the 480i/p reduced bandwidth on the HDMI link.

Sorry, but I cannot help on the Integra side. I did not have to do anything special with my Elite.

Brent_S

Second Unit
No first hand experience since my Oppo 970 won't pass DSD native, but I do have an Onkyo 805, which is nearly identical operationally to an Integra. It sounds like you have your "Listening Mode Presets" left on the default of "Last Valid". "DSD Multi" is a listening mode for DSD just like DPL IIx, TrueHD, DTS:Neo, etc. that can be applied to an incoming signal. Obviously, DSD is only valid with a DSD input. Sounds like you managed to activate the DSD Multi mode for while listening to DSotM, but when you switched to another format on that HDMI input, the 9.8 is still trying to decode it as DSD. Best thing you can do is find the "Listening Mode Preset" menu and define each signal with the processing you want applied instead of the default "last valid".

-Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks