What's new

Leslie Cheung committed suicide.... (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
To most Westerners, Leslie Cheung was known for his starring role in "Farewall My Concubine" or opposite Chow Yun-fat in John Woo's classic "A Better Tomorrow". But Leslie Cheung was one of the biggest music stars of HK pop in the 80s and early 90s as well. A fact completely ignored in the Reuter article on Yahoo! For the music fans, better pick up that hybrid SACD from Cinepoly (Universal Music HK).

RIP Leslie

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I just read this and came here to post something too. I've seen several of his films, including A Chinese Ghost Story, Ashes of Time, Farewell My Concubine, A Chinese Feast, and Happy Together, but my favorite film he's been in is The Bride With White Hair with Brigitte Lin (I'm sorry to be using all Western spellings and titles). Everybody who knows me knows how much I adore that movie. Watching it will never be the same for me, knowing he's dead.

I ache for the inner pain that he must have been feeling, and the pain his family is going through now.

Here's his biography on IMDB:

Born the youngest of 10 children, Leslie's father was tailor to the late William Holden. His parents divorced when he was young, and he claims this is one reason for his disinterest in marriage. Following graduation from secondary school, Leslie studied at Leeds University in Great Britain. Upon his return to Hong Kong, he entered in the 1976 ATV Asian Music Contest, where he took second prize. He went on to perform on stage, television, and in teeny-bopper movies. It wasn't until he was cast in the role of "Kit" in John Woo's "A Better Tomorrow" that his acting career took off; he has since performed in some of the best-known Hong Kong movies of the last decade, working under the direction of such directors as Chen Kaige, Wong Kar-wai, Tsui Hark, and John Woo. Leslie emigrated to Canada in 1992, but soon returned to Hong Kong, demonstrating his intention to remain past the 1997 handover of Hong Kong to China through his purchase of real estate and opening of a coffee shop in the colony. He is currently filming a new Wong Kar-wai film in Argentina.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh wow, that's really sad to hear. I just watched Temptress Moon a few months ago. For many on this side of the pond, he appeared in quite a few very memorable Asian films that made their mark here as well, and most were very watchable. RIP Leslie Cheung.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
He was known more as a pop singer than an actor when I lived in Singapore, but he was very well known and his picture was always in magazines and the papers.

A big shock, as I thought he had progressed to being a serious actor taken seriously. RIP, Leslie.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
He "retired" from the music biz in the late 80s, but "un-retired" several years later. He was signed to HK Universal Music at the time of his death, but has expressed disappointment in the HK press about the management of Universal.

As an actor, he gained international acknowledgement even before Chow Yun-fat did. Unlike most singers turned actors, Leslie was serious about his acting. He probably has a higher profile as an actor than a singer nowadays.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, you might want to edit your post so that your sig doesn't show. It just doesn't seem right in this thread.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
This is stunning. A lot of people had mixed feelings on him, but he undeniably put himself into whatever he did. He will be missed.

Just checked some Asian media sources, and they are already having a field day, a shame.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just checked yesasia.com's daily sale chart, there are 9 Leslie Cheung CD's in the Top 20. Talk about a feeding frenzy.

The highest charting item (at #3) is actually a CD + DVD for Sam Hui, who originated the title character in Tsai Hark's "The Swordsman" series. The DVD contains the footage of Leslie and Sam dueting at Sam's retirement party (with John Woo and Tsai Hark) on the song they co-wrote, "Silence Is Golden".

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I just edited my post...I didn't even notice that. I apologize to any thin skinned members out there. :)

-Dennis

YANG

Screenwriter
It is a big loss in the asian films and music arts circle of his death.

Back when i was a secondary school kid,i love his popular song "MONICA".

His role in FAREWELL MY CONCUBINE and A BETTER TOMORROW are my favorites...

Sigh...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"A Better Tomorrow" is truly a classic. Who can forget the cultural impact this movie created?

And Leslie's album w/ "Monica"....I still have the original CD pressed by Toshiba EMI. Talk about fond memories....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks