What's new

Universal - how about 'Lonely Are The Brave'? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
It's occurred to me that one of Kirk Douglas's best films, 'Lonely Are The Brave' (I think he's on record that it's his own favourite among his films) has never been released on DVD.

As far as I know, Universal own this title. Would anyone else care to support a plea to them to release this fine film on DVD? As well as Kirk Douglas and Gena Rowlands, it has Walter Matthau in an early role.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Yes, please. I have been wanting to see this film for sometime. I suppose if it shows up on TCM, that will suffice, but I would love to have a DVD presentation. A Kirk set is not a bad idea.

Interestingly, on his commentary for First Blood, author David Morrell cites this film as a major influence on his writing of that novel.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
The first time I saw it I was completely blown away. A truly excellent film. I'd love to see this on DVD.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
It's a great film and I'd love to own it.

BTW I never previously noticed the similarities to First Blood but now that that I think of it the connection is obvious.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's too bad they didn't record a commentary befor Kirk's stroke and Walter Mathau's death. Great film!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I bought this on laserdisc years ago...I had never seen it before but bought it due to the great reviews & word of mouth it had...one of the best blind decisions I ever made.

Can't believe this director went on to direct Goldie and the Boxer go to Hollywood :)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Another fan of LONELY ARE THE BRAVE (1962) here; haven't watched it in years and would love to do so again - even via a bare-bones DVD! Of course, if a Kirk Douglas set does get made...:)

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to all the reasons stated above, there's another reason to hope for a DVD release of Lonely Are The Brave. It's a rare adaptation to film of a fine book by Edward Abbey. The book was actually titled The Brave Cowboy. There's precious little enough of Abbey on film. Will we ever see a film of The Monkey-Wrench Gang? Such a natural for filming, but it's probably too controversial.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
The laserdisc image looks pretty good - it would be nice to have this film on dvd with a nice anamorphic transfer as the 2:35 OAR has some great cinematography - the laserdisc is not too common unfortunately. One of my favorite scenes is Kirk Douglas confronting George Kennedy high in the mountains were he's being pursued - after knocking Kennedy out Douglas puts his tooth lost in an earlier "interrogation" in Kennedy's shirt pocket and says " My treat ".

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal has some other Kirk Douglas westerns: THE WAR WAGON (already on dvd but could be improved); King Vidor's MAN WITHOUT A STAR; Robert Aldrich's THE LAST SUNSET (never on homevideo with a rather intriguing incest theme). It also has John Huston's THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER and a pretty disposable comedy FOR LOVE OR MONEY. Universal never thinks of classics as entities anymore. The only chance for the terrific LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is the "bundle" route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks