What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick [/b] co-starring Ted Healy & His Stooges. This would be a great seller on pressed disc thru the TCM arrangement.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just got the Pre-Code double feature in the mail. Once again, nice transfers on pressed discs, each film on it's own single layer disc.

Charles H

Screenwriter
The pre-codes have some extras (intro by Ben Mankiewicz, posters, TCM website info, publicity stills) and THIS IS THE NIGHT is a real find--beyond the Cary Grant debut: it's a musical in the tradition of Lubitsch, Mamoulian's LOVE ME TONIGHT and Milestone's HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM. The blue tinting of the night scenes is spectacular.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Randy Korstick said:
I wish they would release the films they made from two once very popular comedy teams but now obscure. They own 3 Olsen and Johnson movies and 4 Ritz Brothers movies.
Doesn't Universal own 4 Olsen and Johnson films? Hellzapoppin' Crazy House Ghost Catchers See My Lawyer

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Saw Ray Milland mentioned above, so I thought I'd ask who owns the rights to the 1956 film Lisbon. Universal may not own the rights to the film, but as it appears the film isn't available on DVD (checked the IMDb forum for the film and there isn't anything about a DVD release in the only thread there) I thought I'd ask.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Like I said it's good to get those wanted titles. But I can't imagine Universal dipping too deeply into its vaults just yet. Perhaps when they get on a more regular release schedule--once or twice a year isn't going to bring much.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
Saw Ray Milland mentioned above, so I thought I'd ask who owns the rights to the 1956 film Lisbon. Universal may not own the rights to the film, but as it appears the film isn't available on DVD (checked the IMDb forum for the film and there isn't anything about a DVD release in the only thread there) I thought I'd ask.
Lisbon was released (at least in the U.S.) by Republic pictures whose catalog is owned by Lions Gate. Unlikely to see a release on DVD because Lions Gate is sitting on its classic film catalog. If they won't release such highly sought after titles like Johnny Guitar or Letter From An Unknown Woman, it's unlikely they'd release a minor title like Lisbon ..... unless, of course, it was remade with Leonardo Di Caprio then they would release it as a "tie in" to the remake. http://www.thecinemascopecat.blogspot.com

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A pity as of what I've read about the film Lisbon, it sounds like a good film. It's down to personal opinion whether it's a minor film or not.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Universal series is still kicking, with the upcoming Marlene Dietrich Double Feature. It features the two "missing" Josef Von Sternberg collaborations that were not yet released (in R1, at least)--Dishonored and Shanghai Express Release date: 2/6/12 Current Price: $24.99

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
That's interesting, but I thought Criterion was working on Shanghai Express.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
It's about time on Shanghai. I'm definitely pre-ordering because I'd much rather have the pressed disc.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Where can I pre-order the pressed disc??? I need Shanghai foir my Best Picture Nominee collection! ONly a couple doxzen left to go! (Untill January)!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Marlene Dietrich prays for salvation in Shanghai Express (Paramount, 1932). I can't believe the way Universal mis-handles the Von Sternberg / Dietrich collaborations. A decade late, they bunch Morocco (1930), Blonde Venus (1932), and The Devil Is a Woman (1935 ) into a star package with two lesser titles but no commentary or documentary to put each film into historical and artistic perspective. Each title deserves a Special Edition all to itself. These are vital films, important films, breakthrough films, signature works from a deeply personal filmmaker, milestones in cinematic art, and Universal treats them just like any other commercial B product. Six years later they squeeze out Dishonored (1931) and Shanghai Express (1932) as an afterthought, again with no supplements. There is so much going on in these films on so many different levels, and so much to say about them behind the scenes, it's shameful and ridiculous that Universal treats them this way. People write books about the seven Von Sternberg / Dietrich collaborations, but Universal doesn't seem to know or care anything about them. I expect the transfers will be good. Late, but good. At least The Scarlet Empress (1934) got the treatment it merited from Criterion. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
battlebeast said:
Where can I pre-order the pressed disc??? I need Shanghai foir my Best Picture Nominee collection! ONly a couple doxzen left to go! (Untill January)!
Simply order it online from either Turner Classic Movies or Movies Unlimited. The deal has traditionally been that, the initial batch is pressed discs. When that initial set runs out, subsequent orders are burnt discs. If you pre-order, you're sure to get a pressed disc. So far, it's taken anywhere from 9-12 months before they run out and start burning discs. Of course, your mileage may vary.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Well, these will include some supplements, if previous TCM Vault releases are any indication. The supplements are fairly anemic and shoe-string, but at least they are there, unlike the "Glamour Collection." I bought the monster "Merlene Deitrich: The Movie Collection" from the UK several years ago. They were are-bones, but at least it had a sweet box--the largest and classiest I own, next to the Ford at Fox set. Also no double-sided discs. While technically already have the titles in this TCM set (this set includes all of Universal's library of her movies), I still want a R1 edition, along with the slim chance they have new transfers.
Richard--W said:
At least The Scarlet Empress got the treatment it merited from Criterion.
I hope Criterion is able to get that one on Blu-ray.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
mdnitoil said:
Simply order it online from either Turner Classic Movies or Movies Unlimited. The deal has traditionally been that, the initial batch is pressed discs. When that initial set runs out, subsequent orders are burnt discs. If you pre-order, you're sure to get a pressed disc. So far, it's taken anywhere from 9-12 months before they run out and start burning discs. Of course, your mileage may vary.
I wonder what the run of pressed discs are - 1000? 2000? 2500? Wouldn't expect it to be more than 2500. Remember, they can press the quantity, but make the packaging on-demand to keep costs down up front. More discs pressed, is a lower over-all cost of the discs.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
A rumoured 2012 list of Universal releases which is has presumably been leaked on another forum has been posted in another thread. Supposedly, the 2012 list (after the Dietrich set) for this program is: April: Joel McCrea westerns June: 1950's melodrama August: Universal rarities October: Billy Wilder collection December: Film Noir I must say, it certainly sounds legit, as this list doesn't go out of its way in wish-fulfillment. I suppose in upcoming months we will know soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks