What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Originally Posted by John Morgan

Are we sure these are DVDr? I believe the Cult Horror set were standard DVDs. On the TCM web site, they list them as DVDs. And I can't find a price for the Cary Grant films? Are they $19 for the bundle of all three or per film? I know they say they are MOD, but I wonder.
I just received both the Cult Horror Collection and Remember the Night, and they definitely appear to be pressed. Heck, Remember the Night even has the TCM insert advertisement found in the pressed releases of the Backlot series. I'm guessing that, rather than being burned on demand, these discs are being pressed in smaller numbers instead of being distributed worldwide. It definitely looks good for these upcoming releases, which I am definitely going to be putting my money into.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Originally Posted by KellyVO
I was at moviesunlmited.com and I found this!

The TCM Universal Deanna Durbin Collection /musite/images/medialogo-D.png Now Accepting Advance Orders! - Available on 04/27/10

Looks like the set will include "Mad About Music", "That Certain Age", "Three Smart Girls Grow Up", "Because of Him", and "For the Love of Mary"! Finally more Deanna Durbin on DVD! All I can say is keep up the good work!

Here is the link: www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp
Brilliant news!

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Did anyone else notice that the release date for the Cary Grant: The Early Years Collection has been moved back until Feb 25! I wonder why? I have this on pre-order and was looking forward to watching Devil and the Deep soon.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Did anyone else notice that the release date for the Cary Grant: The Early Years Collection has been moved back until Feb 25! I wonder why? I have this on pre-order and was looking forward to watching Devil and the Deep soon.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by ColbyCo82

Lou Lumenick reports on his blog that the demand for this set prompted TCM to change the format and offer it on pressed discs instead, with just the singles being made available as DVD-Rs.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
This is the kind of delay I can live with. I'll definitely pick up the set when it's released.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This would be an excellent model for all "On Demand" titles. Simply place them up for order 6 months ahead of the release date and then depending on demand, they will either be burned or pressed. I would pre-order a lot of titles if this system was used and them simply retract my order if demand wasn't high enough for pressed discs. Thus far, I have not purchased any DVD-R titles, and I don't plan to anytime soon.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Out of all the MOD programs we've seen, the TCM-Universal partnership has been the best, with its remastered films and pressed discs. It's nice to see that there is an attempt to try the MOD program out this way. Hopefully it'll be successful and the others will follow suit.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Very happy to hear this. It brings MOD programs, as an industry, one step closer to where they belong. And it brings optimists like myself one step closer to accepting this model.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
Originally Posted by ColbyCo82

I was at TCM's website today and I noticed individual titles have been pushed back to March 3 and the box set has been moved back to March 17.

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Originally Posted by KellyVO

I was at TCM's website today and I noticed individual titles have been pushed back to March 3 and the box set has been moved back to March 17.
That sucks. I wonder what the issue is now?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Maybe it takes time to actually press the discs if that wasn't their original plan?

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Maybe it takes time to actually press the discs if that wasn't their original plan?

Makes sense to me...making a nicer package then you planned doesn't happen overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks