What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, the Billy Wilder would be an instant buy for me, possibly the rarities. The rest is really going to depend on the particular titles involved.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Some of that is certain to change- but I would bet money more is going to play out that way than not. The big oddity to me though is the August listing for Jaws, as well as Jaws 3 showing up a week earlier. That doesn't seem to make much sense.

FrankXS

Second Unit
I would assume, the only two early unreleased titles that Universal would have, would be Five Graves to Cairo and A Foreign Affair (from the pre-1948 Paramounts). Unless..some of his last titles are controlled by NBC/Universal.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
JoHud said:
A rumoured 2012 list of Universal releases which is has presumably been leaked on another forum has been posted in another thread. Supposedly, the 2012 list (after the Dietrich set) for this program is: April: Joel McCrea westerns June: 1950's melodrama August: Universal rarities October: Billy Wilder collection December: Film Noir I must say, it certainly sounds legit, as this list doesn't go out of its way in wish-fulfillment. I suppose in upcoming months we will know soon enough.
The June and August topics sound promising but cover an awful lot of territory... could be anything.... The December topic is encouraging too but also wide-ranging; a number of Uni noir titles already have made their way to home vid, so let's hope this would include fresh releases.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The June, August and December topics stand out for me, the film noir moreso. The trouble with film noirs (and this is a good problem) is there are so many which were made. Have got probably a handful of film noirs.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Camps said:
The June and August topics sound promising but cover an awful lot of territory... could be anything.... The December topic is encouraging too but also wide-ranging; a number of Uni noir titles already have made their way to home vid, so let's hope this would include fresh releases.
JoHud said:
A rumoured 2012 list of Universal releases which is has presumably been leaked on another forum has been posted in another thread. Supposedly, the 2012 list (after the Dietrich set) for this program is: April: Joel McCrea westerns June: 1950's melodrama August: Universal rarities October: Billy Wilder collection December: Film Noir I must say, it certainly sounds legit, as this list doesn't go out of its way in wish-fulfillment. I suppose in upcoming months we will know soon enough.
Joel McCrea Westerns? I would much rather see Gary Cooper Westerns as many of the early ones have been restored by UCLA. August is often a time when horror titles are released, so I'll keep my fingers crossed about that. I hope they don't stick their Alan Ladd titles in the Film Noir collection. Ideally, they would be released in a six film Backlot Collection with perhaps a rescued from rights purgatory Great Gatsby single DVD to coincide with the new film, but he deserves his own collection. Paramount's Ladd titles are less well known, but Olive Films has released one already and Captain Carey USA is in their next wave. Ray Milland would also be welcome. I really don't understand how titles are chosen for the TCM sets.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I still don't understand why Universal hasn't released To Each His Own, Hold Back the Dawn, The Uninvited, and Love Letters. While I know of several Universal titles I would love to own, these four, huge successes in the 1940s, deserve a proper release. :)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
To Justin's point, I don't understand why they licensed THE UNINVITED to a company called Exposure Cinema in the UK for a June 11th "official" release. The hope was that it might make it to Criterion and as a BD. The film is on a great many "most wanted" lists and hopefully they might still do it for the American release. Someone in a past thread noted that the original elements are in really good shape. Also, the first two Mitchell Leisen films he mentions had Universal Spain releases some time ago. The transfers were especially nice, unlike much of what has come out of there under the Warners and Fox banners. Seems like TCM could make a nice Leisen multi-disc set. I would love it since Mitch was my great uncle and I could send off several to the relatives. I've a lovely DVD of FRENCHMAN'S CREEK from Spain which I'm sure many would love to have here. Films like THE MATING SEASON, PRACTICALLY YOURS, KITTY and TAKE A LETTER, DARLING have never yet made it to DVD and are Universal titles.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Could not agree with you more Justin on those four classic titles...but also the Ladd/Lake titles and many Ray Milland/Claudette Colbert/Barbara Stanwyck titles and one musical .....Lady in the Dark with Ginger Rogers.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Definitely Lady in the Dark- also, Diary of a Mad Housewife, The Glass Menagerie (1987), This Happy Feeling, When Tomorrow Comes, and Midnight Lace (Are you listening Universal?) :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Universal also has the lion's share of 40's William Holden features, including Dear Ruth

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'm guessing this is from the aforementioned marketing partnership: A TCM-branded box set of '50s Universal "Women in Danger" films, now up for pre-order via Movies Unlimited: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D59795&utm_source=Listrak&trk_msg=FQTENPGRS1JKB4RIA0Q6KKIJF8&trk_contact=HNTM1QSLG43588U7ISRNC63ICC&utm_campaign=What%27s+the+best+%22Mafia%22+movie%3F&utm_term=Women+In+Danger%3A+1950s+Thrillers&utm_medium=Email Maybe this lines up with the "1950s Melodrama" category included in the rumored release categories listed above....

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Great list of films, yet, with so many Universal films (note above) unreleased, this seems like more of a bittersweet release...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Camps said:
I'm guessing this is from the aforementioned marketing partnership: A TCM-branded box set of '50s Universal "Women in Danger" films, now up for pre-order via Movies Unlimited: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/product.asp?sku=D59795&utm_source=Listrak&trk_msg=FQTENPGRS1JKB4RIA0Q6KKIJF8&trk_contact=HNTM1QSLG43588U7ISRNC63ICC&utm_campaign=What%27s+the+best+%22Mafia%22+movie%3F&utm_term=Women+In+Danger%3A+1950s+Thrillers&utm_medium=Email Though this doesn't seem to line up with the rumored release categories listed above....
Well, well, well. The Unguarded Moment! Out of the blue - just like that! One of the most sought after missing movies, not included in Hollywood Classics' list of Universal movies, and here it is. OK. I'm pre-ordering this box-set. I've wanted The Unguarded Moment for a long time and I'm not taking any chances.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Justin Ray said:
Great list of films, yet, with so many Universal films (note above) unreleased, this seems like more of a bittersweet release...
Agreed, Justin. I've been wailing for ages about Universal cranking up the MOD volume. Here's hoping the "Universal Rarities" set rumored for August includes some choice stuff. But gee, one box set every 2 months....? I really wish these guys would try a bit more to emulate the Warner Archive model, or get in bed with them somehow ... anything to get more than 4 movies every 8 weeks... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks