What's new

Uninvited dog question (1 Viewer)

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
Here is my situation. My wife and I bought a house 5 months ago. Family members immediately started talking about how they would bring their dog over to play in our yard. We asked them politely not to bring their dog when they came for the first time to see our house but when they showed up sure enough the dog was with them. We didn't say anything but we made it a quick 15 minute tour.

Fast forward to today, Thanksgiving normally happens at my aunts house, this year due to some family members having medical situations I offered to host the festivities. Through some other guests that were invited I found out that they are bringing the dog again. It just seems really rude to not ask and to again go against our wishes of not having the dog in our house.

My wife and I don't have a problem with properly house broken and well behaved dogs, we have talked about getting a dog a few times and are probably going to get one in about a year. Our problem is their dog isn't house broken and is now over a year old. They trained their dog on "puppy pads" so they now have they two foot square absorbent pads they lay on the floor for the dog to use as a bathroom. Many times the dog misses. On top of that this dog doesn't stop barking it's amazingly annoying.

What would you do?

aaron campbell

Second Unit
I would tell them to leave the dog at home or just not come to my house. I run a business and have customers who walk their dogs in like it's no problem. I tell them to walk them right back out. No consideration to others who may have allergies, or just plain rude.Why people have to take their animals with them like children is beyond me.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Your first paragraph says that the dog would be in the yard. To me that wouldn't too much of a problem.

However, your second and third paragraphs mention the dog being in the house. That's a totally different animal. (Pun intended)

If it's ok to ask someone not to smoke in your house then I wouldn't have a problem asking them (again) not to bring the dog in the house.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Just ask them to leave the dog at home. The mutt isn't welcome. It's your house and they are guests in it, family or not.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The answer is so obvious I have to wonder if there is more to the problem.

--
H

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with everyone else -- simply ask them to leave the dog at home. While I have not encountered this situation personally, I have asked guests politely who lit up to not smoke in our house. I have yet to have anyone give me a problem with the request, since I am polite about it. However, if I were to get a rude reaction, the rudeness would be returned in kind.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

There isn't more to the problem just having to deal with family members after.

The funny thing is I wouldn't have a problem with the dog in the yard, it doesn't know how to go to the bathroom outside. I would have a problem if the bear the visits our yard at night decided it wanted a little snack.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Fate has handed you an incredibly convenient solution on a silver platter. Engineering an unfortunate encounter should be a breeze.

Now don't get carried away with the owners as well.

--
H

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Yes, simply restrict the dog to being outside, then sneak out and slather it with honey.

Kidding! LOL

I love dogs, but it sounds like you need to politely but forcibly state that outside or not at all.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I actually can understand why they want to bring the pet - one year old is young and problematic to leave behind. However it is also not apropriate for them to assume you are OK with it. They should ask first. You then can suggest a kennel or limits (locked in the back porch or whatever)

Since you are a HTF enthusiast I can presume that money is not too much of a problem. Here is a suggestion which will clearly make a point to them as well as solve the short term problem;
http://www.dog.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=1...&srccode=YAHOO

Very quickly they will realize that the dog cannot roam freely through the house or yard. You must be assumptive and give them no recourse. The dog HAS to be there - you bought it just for the dog! It is perfect.

Your guest will either aquiesce or leave. They are not likely to bring the dog back - and if they do... you have a place for it.

As a smart woman once told me - nobody can take advantage of you without your permission...

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
[the Wilson family arrives at the checkpoint]
Porter: Can I help you folks?
Alice Wilson, John Wilson: Oh, yes, thank you.
Porter: Aw, is that your dog, son?
[looking at Scraps, Jimmy's dog]
Jimmy Wilson: Yes, his name is Scraps, and he's going to the moon with us.
Porter: Oh no. No dogs are allowed in the shuttle son. I'm affraid Scraps will have to be shot.
[pulls out a gun, shoots the dog and the dog falls to the floor]
Jimmy Wilson: [shouts, bending towards his dog] Scraps! He shot him! He shot Scraps! He shot him!

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
After asking them three times to leave the dog at home they told me that they would be bringing the dog or they would only be staying for dinner. I responded with "I respect your decision but the dog must stay at home, this is our house and our rules, you are free to stay as long as you wish". End result, dog stayed home they stayed until about 10:30. All that mess for nothing.

A few days later we stopped by to drop off a few things they left behind and they laughed about how they had friends over and the dog peed on them. Not my idea of a good time. I understand one year old can be problematic but with proper training it doesn't have to be that bad.

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Absolute crap. Every dog I've ever owned (quite a few BTW) was peeing outside barring exceptional circumstances by the time they were 6 mo old. This is like seeing 6 yr old kids who are still making messes at dinnertime or in the bathroom. There isn't a darn thing wrong with the kid/dog, the adults responsible for them are the ones who need a swift kick in the ass.

You did the right thing. For me, if your dog is not potty trained and isn't a straight up puppy (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks