What's new

Under Appreciated Movies *Spoilers* (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Another good thing about ARRTI is that, as my dad once sagely advised me, "That's a movie you could get some major points for watching with a chick and not be bored out of your mind.":D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
have you read either of the Clarke books Logan's Run is based on?
I’m probably ready to be corrected here as well, but I thought that those books were written by some guy named Nolan. Or did he just rip off from Clarke? That’s definitely possible, as Clarke was pretty prolific, and I can’t claim to have read everything he wrote. Of course there is the other possibility. I’m misremembering.:b

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I always loved BODIES, REST and MOTION .. and nobody else seems to.

Thought it was so appropriate for the time it was made with all the Gen X people floundering in the world.

Absolutely loved Bridgett Fonda and Tim Roth in it.

There was some great cinematography of Arizona in it as well. Would love to pick up a DVD version of this .. if available.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Steve, good call on One False Move. That is a fine film. Very simple and direct in a way. If there is any theme to it, it might be "just because you're from the big city doesn't mean you are hot stuff." Some grizly stuff at the beginning, too. Good cast, and it is the only place I have ever heard Rank 'n File's music, which I love. They are often playing in the background. I admire Carl Franklin's movies for not being race based as well. He is unique in that sense.
On that subject, what happened to Jim Metzler? I always thought he was pretty good, but he has done so little.
Lew, I think we are both basically right. I seem to remember that the book(s) that Logan's Run is based on were written by Nolan. I keep forgetting about that. They were obviously inspired by Clarke's Against the Fall of Night, which is copyrighted 1953, and later his The City and the Stars.
A little aside. Does anyone here get Rolling Stone? I'm a bit of an Asia Argento fan and she is on the cover of the new issue. I only glanced at the article about her, but HOLY ****, she gives a whole new definition to WILD! I have a feeling there may be things in that article that would even make me blush.
I might as well name a favorite Asia movie. B. Monkey, which also happened to arrive in the mail today with the RS. It is kind of like Carlito's Way if Carlito was a smokin' hot Italian chick. Without the sad ending. I wouldn't have mentioned it, since it is pretty obscure, but I have "Asia on my mind." :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
And I won't deny that Pollyanna does have it's 'disneyhappy' moments, but when you don't let that bother you, there is more to the film. It's really an extremely charming family film, enjoyable for adults perhaps moreso than children because there's some subtle humor that kids might not pick up on (my peronal favorite is the reverend delivering his 'DEATH COMES UNEXPECTEDLY!" sermon, not only is the actual sermon and deliverary over the top, but the way it is shot caused me cackle through the entire thing. Another thing going for the film is how much the townsfolk resist Pollyanna's ideas of actually being happy "Glad, glad, glad, glad. Don't you ever Shut Up about that stupid glad business."
There are a lot of other little touches that make me like the film, especially from a cinematography standpoint, there's the aforementioned sermon sequence, but also when Pollyanna arrives at the mansion, I love the way the camera is used to show how enormous it is and the blatent wealth on display.
It's by no means a masterpiece, one of the best and enjoyable family films, I think, but it is definitly underappreciated or too swiftly dismissed.

ADam

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Here's a few more:
Men With Guns - Am I the only one that has seen this John Sayles film? Frederico Luppi stars as a retiring doctor in a strife-torn Latin American country who decides to track down seven medical students who were sent out to work in poverty-stricken native villages. What he sees along the way opens his eyes to the brutality of the "men with guns" - the revolutionaries whose cause seems to be that of plunder and murder. Filmed almost entirely in Spanish, which may have something to do with its obscurity.
The Reflecting Skin - A strange thriller directed by Philip Ridley. A young boy comes to believe that his neighbor, a pretty widow with the odd name of Dolphin Blue, is a vampire. Then someone begins murdering his friends, his father immolates himself after being accused of the murders, and his older brother (Viggo Mortensen from LOTR) returns home from the war with tales of atom bombs and babies with "reflecting skins." Very much in keeping with the films of David Lynch - if you like those, you'll like The Reflecting Skin.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Two from my collection...
Babe: Pig in the City
Too many people have dismissed this film as either a) too kid-oriented for an adult to watch or b) too scary for their kids to watch. Anyone using either of these excuses to not see this film has not only missed out on a wonderful tale of the value of compassion, but they have also deprived themself of seeing one of the most visually compelling and dazzling films of the late 1990's. I always expected this film to gain fans on video after its dismal performance in theaters, but I rarely encounter anyone these days who mentions it.
The Professionals
Written and directed by Richard Brooks (Elmer Gantry, In Cold Blood), this Western seems to have escaped the attention of many people who would otherwise claim to be a "fan" of Westerns. Perhaps it's because TNT and TBS don't give it the airplay that they provide the films of Clint Eastwood and John Wayne. Whatever the reason, this film combines a stellar cast (Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Jack Palance) and a rousing adventure in the style of The Dirty Dozen and The Magnificent Seven. I had never heard of the film prior to its release on DVD (great transfer, btw). It doesn't stretch the genre or even break outside of the traditional Western style, but it is a fine Western that deserves more recognition.
Brad

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Brad, good call on Babe: Pig in the City. VERY under-appreciated!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Definite agreement on "Quigley Down Under" and "Babe: Pig in the City". Babe:PiC was such a bomb...no one ever gave it the chance it deserved (except Ebert, who overrates it), and "Quigley" just suffered from being a western at the wrong time. Both great films.
I don't think "Dark City" is underrated. Many think it is great and it often gets compared favorably to "The Matrix". I also don't think "Being There" is underrated. It was and is considered brilliant by just about everyone and is normally at the top of anyone's Peter Sellers watch list. Why didn't he win the Oscar? Because "Kramer vs. Kramer" fever had hit, and Hoffman was a shoe-in.
I think "The Game" is quite underrated. Everyone loves to talk about Fincher's work in "Fight Club" and the brilliant "Seven", but "The Game" is considered a trifle. I think it's much better than that and resonates on several levels.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Babe:PiC was such a bomb...no one ever gave it the chance it deserved (except Ebert, who overrates it)
I think you mean the late Gene Siskel who picked it as the top film of '98.
I agree that whether Dark City is underrated or not...it is one hell of a film. And I definitely agree that The Game is underrated (although not on this forum).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
[c]Link Removed
I'm surprised how many of the movies mentioned her I actully have.
I guess I like "under appreciated" stuff.[/c]

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Cool thread idea here. Kudos to those who mentioned Dark City, Pleasantville, Logan's Run, and One False Move. They'd have been on my list!
Since this is a favorite topic of mine (I love 'championing' the movies I love), I'll offer a few of my choices with just a brief stream-of-consciousness synopsis.
Popeye -In my mind, the epitome of 'under appreciated'.
1941 - Man, if everyone didn't hop on the 'bash this movie' bandwagon, Spielberg might have had the stones to attack the comedy genre again. :angry: ( I love this movie.)
Without a Clue - Clever comedy has Dr. Watson (Ben Kingsley)) as the real brains, and Sherlock Holmes (Michael Caine) as a drunken oaf. If you need more incentive, Jeffrey Jones and Lysette Anthony also star. :)
Diggstown - Criminally overlooked comedy that ranks right below The Sting in the con-game subgenre. James Woods, Lou Gossett, Oliver Platt, Bruce Dern, Heather Graham, laughs, boxing, phenomenal finale. Rent this movie.
Sneakers - You're all kicking yourselves for not mentioning this one already. The only people who don't like this one are those who've yet to see it.
My Boyfriend's Back - Truly amusing zombie comedy. It repeatedly reminded me of Mad Magazine.
Death to Smoochy - DVD soon!
Very Bad Things - This one separates the men from the whiners. ;)
Eight Legged Freaks - I predicted a $65 million domestic box-office for this one. :rolleyes
Night of the Creeps - A horror fan's wet dream.
Clue - Lovable slapstick silliness.
Not Another Teen Movie - Improves IMMENSELY with repeat viewings.
Eight Men Out - IMO, the best baseball flick ever...and I've seen nearly all of 'em.
Mute Witness - ;)
Frailty - Still in my Top Five of 2002. :)
Mischief - Period-piece teen-sex comedy that I never grow weary of. Plus you get some sweet Kelly Preston boobage.
Quiz Show - Don't know if this one's really under appreciated, but I think it's an amazing movie.
Shoot to Kill - You know this one! Poitier, Berenger, Kirstie Alley. Yeah that one! Damn good movie!
Dead of Winter - Roddy McDowall and Mary Steenburgen in a fantastically creepy little mystery.
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three - If you've never seen this one...that's a cryin' shame.
The Great Train Robbery - Crichton, Connery, Sutherland. I could watch this movie twice a year.
This Is Your Life - Yeah, it's a chick-flick, but I really liked it. It was nice to see what Marge Simpson looks like in live-action. ;)
State of Grace - Very cool Irish gangster flick. Sean Penn, Ed Harris, phenomenal finale.
Seems Like Old Times - Aside from the last two minutes, I love every frame of this movie.
9 to 5 - Yeah, everyone remembers liking this movie, but it's better than that. Sure, much of it is kinda dated, but I think it's funnier today than it was in 1980.
Flash Gordon - Another 1980 classic. I so want an SE of this movie!
The Last Starfighter / Cloak and Dagger - I saw these two as a double features when I was 13. Loved 'em ever since.
Hey, I'll come back with more later! :emoji_thumbsup:

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Red Rock West
Easily my favourite modern noir film, John Dahl's second film in his noir trilogy is eclipsed by the inferior (IMO) Last Seduction. Everything about this film works. The soundtrack nails the eery, sinister underbelly of Red Rock. The moody photography wonderfully captures the shadowy world of noir but with a color palette. It was made before Nicolas Cage's script choices turned to shit, and his acting style fits the isolated loner way out of his depth very well. Dennis Hopper slices of a chunk of crazy and serves it up for the adience to devour. He's a joy to weatch and this role feels like it was taylor made. Lara Flynn Boyle does the seductress act with equal venom and charm, and the unparalled J.T. Walsh is at his best. It's a small film, but an expertly crafted package. Tightly constructed, and nails the drama potential of a standard film noir trust-deception triangle. Also, unlike other similar modern noirs, it doesn't cheepen the material by padding it out with some extreme violence. the camera stays focused on ther performers, and it manages to crank the tension high, before the mediocre, though more than adequate climax. Great film, amazingly overlooked.
Manhattan Murder Mystery
It's easily one of Woody Allen's most lightweight films, but its almost his most fun. There is a genuine glee up on screen, and all the actors look like they're having a ball. the characters are much like any other Allen film, but this doesn't feel like his usual character pieces. Dialogue is separated into two distinct areas- meaningless banter, and exposition. the murder plot that starts out as a mid-life-crisis fuelled adventure, and turns into a serious pursuit and ransom, is chased by pleasingly self-conscious jokes about middle-age, the difference between men and women as they age, the benefits and disadvantages of past friends coming back into their lives, and on several ocassions, the absolute agony of having a stamp-collecting neighbor. For those that can't enjoying a Woody Allen film without some good-old neiurotic panic-attacks, will be overjoyed at the scene when he gets stuck in a particularly small elevator, and when he arrives in a basement with no, ight switch after just having discovered a dead body. Probably Allen's most least talked about film, but behind Manhattan, easily my favourite. Definitely check it out if you get a chance.
Miller's Crossing
I've always liked this film, but only recently, after a few more viewings, has it become one of my favourite Coen Brothers flicks. It's their most perfectly constrcued film. It balances comic absurdity with monstrous villainy so deftly that it sometimes blurs the line between the two. The photography is a dazzling display of simplicity. Barry Sonnenfeld has stated that as a cinematographer it's the work he's most proud of, and the great work he's done is all up on screen. The casting is sheer perfection. Gabriel Byrne, Albert Finney, Marcai gay Harden and John Turturro deliver pitch-perfect characterisations. It has a rough edge that has seemingly been eliminated in their later films. Like Blood Simple and Raising Arizona, even though this was undoubtedly their biggest budget at the time, it has a low budget, guerilla feel, that compliments the material very well. Very underappreciated, and a cast-iron masterpiece that will never be forgotten.
Be aware, this post has not been passed through a pretentious language filter. ;)

Scott A.

Agent
Well,
Just about anything by Gilliam including 12 Monkeys, the Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Brazil.
Of recent movies I'm surprized Vanilla Sky didn't get more buzz. Not being a huge fan of Tom Cruise, I think It's his best work so far. I thought the movie was well crafted.
I thought Quills deserved a higher profile too, This is a very well written and acted movie. Perhaps the subject matter did it in.
My two cents, (one cent U.S.),
S.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Heres some films I love that I feel are underappreciated:

Nixon
Drugstore Cowboy
The Rocketeer
People vs Larry Flynt
Bugsy
Babe Pig In The City
The Bear
Born On the Fourth Of July
Dark City
A Simple Plan
Malcolm X
One False Move
Gattaca
Dead Presidents
He Got Game
The Doors
The Insider
Bound
Ed Wood

.....just off the top of my head.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Scott:
Diggstown - Love it. This movie was one of the ones on HBO during the summer one year of high school for me. You know, the ones that are like "This week on HBO, Diggstown.... and Diggstown. This movie is great and worth at least a rental.
Sneakers - Yep, I am kicking myself. This is one of my favorite movies to watch with my Dad and I know we got it for him on VHS one Christmas.
Not Another Teen Movie - Just bought this this weekend and even after just one viewing I'm quoting the movie like mad. "Why is that whenever I tell a guy they can put wherever they want they always put it...."
:D
The Last Starfighter / Cloak and Dagger - Two of my all time favorite childhood movies. I cannot believe how much the Starfighter DVD is though.
My own add ons: Heist - Bought this the same time I got Not Another Teen Movie, came to the forum and found that the official review and discussion thread got a total of 25 posts when this came out. I was surprised because I though this movie was excellent and ranks up there close with Oceans 11 for repeat watchability and just plain funness.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I remember liking Legend of the Fall when I saw it, but I don't remember it. That was the first, or one of the first, movies where Brad Pitt actually did some really acting. No one really talks about the movie, though.
Someone mentioned Malcolm X which I agree with. I also include Spike Lee's other films- they get a lot of attention, but are misunderstood and therefore underappreciated.
The very nature of David Lynch's work puts a lot of people off, enough for them not to give it a chance (myself included until recently :b ), but there is some fine film-making up in there.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Scott. You are the first to list several I haven't seen. Yeah, Sneakers is a lot of fun, but the one I am absolutely kicking myself about is State of Grace! How did I miss that? It is the second reason Goodfellas is only the third best gangster flick of the year. The best? Of course, my favorite of all time Miller's Crossing, which Paul mentioned. I think it is an absolute work of art. Interesting that both of these films have been announced (many times in the case of MC) on DVD but neither has ever been released.
The biggest one I missed, Bubble Boy, which has about the most fall down, gasp for breath funny moments I have seen in years. This one is so funny, it is almost painful. Patches? I could use some stinking patches! I pledge allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America! Pinocchio came out of his bubble, touched the filthy whore next door and died. The end!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks