What's new

Ultimate TV/ Direct TV receiver (1 Viewer)

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
anyone use one of these with their home theatre? i'm looking at the RCA UltimateTV DSS Satellite Receiver, model DWD490RE

it got optical out for dolby (both live and for recorded shows)

i now have replaytv with my home theatre, but replay doesn't have optical out- so i'm thinking of upgrading and getting this combo sat receiver/ ultimate tv unit.

any comments, recommendations?

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the RCA Ultimate TV/Direct TV receiver and the service for a couple of weeks now.

Yes, you can hook up the optical out to your AV receiver and have at least Dolby Surround.

Many PPV movies are broadcast in DD. That's a plus. (assuming your AV receiver can decode the DD signal)

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
how do you like the ultimate tv? i heard the interface isn't very good- what do you like/ dislike about it? i have a denon 2802 and it decodes...

i currenty use (and love) replay tv, but it doesn't pass the dolby thru- so i have to watch ppv live, whereas the ultimate i can record and not lose the sound quality.

looking forward to hearing more of your opinion/ experience

thanks!

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:

Cool, I have the same receiver.

As for the RCA, like I said I've only had it a few weeks but so far I like it. The 2802 does Pro Logic II so any surround source that isn't Dolby Digital is at least PLII. That is very nice IMO.

The interface, well Microsoft designed the software, so that should tell you alot. I had a DishNetwork system with the same type of software interface so I am pretty much use to it.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
hey al- that's great-
i do have some questions...
hows the program search on the ultimate?
can you search by keyword, actor, etc?
does it retain your search parameters?
have you enjoyed Dolby/ surround with it yet??
obviously, that's my main concern. i love my replay, but it doens't support dolby. so when i watch a premium or PPV i must switch to the direct satellite feed, but then i lose the replay tv functions, pause, rewind, etc. plus i can't record these shows for later viewing, which sucks! :angry:
i'm assuming you take advantage of all these features, all while not compromising the home theatre dolby aspect>??

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:

You can search by all the parameters you mentioned.

I don't know if it retains the parameters though. I'll have to check that.

Yes, I have experienced some Dolby Digital programs. The other night my wife ordered Captain Corelli's Mandolin (I know, real girlie movie!)on PPV and she recorded it on the hard drive. When I came home from work I watched it, and the DD was retained!

I also noticed some HBO programming, although not advertised as DD, was being picked up by the 2802 in DD. The DD LED lit up on the front of the receiver, but the readout displayed Dolby PL II M (music). I was kinda confused by that. But regardless of whether it was DD or PL II, it sounded great. It's hard to tell the difference with most material. That's why I got the 2802.

Overall, I think you will enjoy Ultimate TV service. I never had the RePlay TV but I had DishNetwork's equivalent (I think) service called Personal TV. And for the same price of 9.95 per month I now get automatic PIP (the RCA box has two tuners!), and I can watch one show while recording another as well as watch a previously recorded show in DD. Just be aware that you will have to run 2 coax (RG-6) lines from the dish on the roof to the RCA unit. That could be a problem for some people. Wife acceptance, cost etc. Luckily my wife was the one pushing it in the first place, and as far as cost, I got a free install from Ultimate Electronics, so the cable didn't cost me a dime.

BTW: You also get 3 hours per month of WebTV internet/e-mail access per month via the phone (dial-up) connection icluded as part of the 9.95 per month Ultimate TV fee. This wasn't a big selling point for me since I have cable internet service, but it could be for some.

Also, I got my RCA at Ultimate Electronics. They offered a one year service/trade-in program for 24.95. Basically if the unit craps out within one year, I can get a replacement from them. If it doesn't crap out, I can still trade it in for a new unit or 199.95 credit toward a newer or different model. I really like that better than most extended warranty programs. This way I can trade up for the latest and greatest receiver every year. (As long as you keep purchasing the 24.95 option each time)

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
al-

thanks for the great info - sounds like just what i'm looking for! right now when i watch DD, etc i have to go straight to the dish receiver and i KILLS me i lose the replay functions (especially the fact i can record in DD!)

question..

Just be aware that you will have to run 2 coax (RG-6) lines from the dish on the roof to the RCA unit.
i have a dual LNB, but one line goes to my second tv. so, can i just use a regular splitter on the line to the new receiver, one to each tuner input? can you do this with satellite?

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:

I believe that you will either have to give up that second room receiver and re-route it to the RCA or you can buy one of the newer dish antennas. These are oval, not round. They have the capability to supply a total of 4 tuners. I think it's called "double dual LNB" or something like that. Cost me 135.00 at Ultimate Electronics.

Maybe someone with better knowledge will chime in here, but I do know that you won't be able to use what you've got now to run both tuners in the RCA AND the receiver in the other room. And you just can't split the signal going to the RCA because two of the same signal thus, defeating the purpose of the second tuner.

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
i was afraid of that..

how come whenever i buy something, i gotta upgrade something else!??

i just added the dual LNB only had a single prior!

is there an easier/ cheaper way around this?

i'm NOT going on my roof!!

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, give up the second tv!:frowning:
Otherwise the Ultimate TV is pretty much useless! :angry:

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
thanks al!
ahh... but i will not be denied! :D a bit o research and i learned i can buy a multi-switch, so i can add up to 4 receivers! but, i found them ranging from $39.95 to 179.95! what the hell's the difference?? anyone know?
at least i know i can do it and NOT go up on the roof=
40 more bucks i can handle, but.. the 180!
plus i have a brand new sat receiver to sell- anyone? rca digital out?? :b

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
no, i'm looking at www.satellitedeals.com - they have it for 149.95-
any recommendations?
can you make 'theme' channels with UTV? like with replay, i have theme channels- for example BEATLES-- any show that comes up with beatles in the title, it will automatically record. you can do this for any keyword, actor, etc.. it's great!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
i found them ranging from $39.95 to 179.95! what the hell's the difference?? anyone know?
Some are powered for long coax runs. Others have 4 satellite inputs. Others have 8 or more outputs. This model should work just fine. Just run both coax from the dish to the switch and run two coax to the UTV and one to your other receiver.
-Robert

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:

That should work as long as you don't run the split signal to both inputs on the RCA. The inputs to the RCA have to come from a different LNB, not the same one split.

Get it?

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
That should work as long as you don't run the split signal to both inputs on the RCA. The inputs to the RCA have to come from a different LNB, not the same one split.
what's up with that? i thought the 2 tuners worrry about the signal- now i learn they have to come from 2 different lnb's!! are you sure??

ps

thanks robert for the link

Al_M

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie:
I'm not an expert at this. I'm just telling you what I have learned over the past few weeks.
I am 99% sure about the LNB setup though.:frowning:

JimN

Stunt Coordinator
For a 2 in to 4 out multi switch the outputs from each LNB goes to the multiswitch, then you have four independent outputs to send the sat signal wherever you want. A 3 in 4 out has an additional input for antenna or cable and diplexes the signal on a single cable. You then use a diplexer at each termination and generate a seperate sat and antenna/cable signal. In both cases, both LNB outputs must go directly to the switch. Make sure you keep the multiswitch in a dry location because I have only seen one so far that is waterproof.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
what's up with that? i thought the 2 tuners worrry about the signal- now i learn they have to come from 2 different lnb's!! are you sure??
Just to clear things up, most 18" dishes now have a dual LNB. That means the LNB on the end of the dish's arm has two coax connections. The 18"x24" dishes have two dual LNBs. When you connect the multi-switch to the LNB, the switch sends 18volts DC to one coax connection and 13volts DC to the other coax connection. This is so the LNB can tune into both the left and right polarized frequencies coming from the satellite. When you change channels on, your sat receiver sends out either 13v or 18v depending on the channel you pick. The multi-switch then connects you to the correct side of the LNB. This happens instantly so you don't know there is a switch involved. It is also the reason regular cable splitters do not work with satellite installations.

-Robert

Eddie Ras

Stunt Coordinator
so as long as i get the correct multiswitch it will work- right?

basically all i need is to take my dual LNB and have it feed one receiver/one tuner in one room and then feed the UTV with two tuners on the one receiver-- two recievers, 3 tuners.

not a problem, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks