1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for Compact Speaker

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by phil2319, Dec 5, 2018.

1. phil2319

phil2319 Auditioning

Phil
    I just finished wiring my family room for 5.1 surround sound and I am looking at starting to choose speakers and a receiver. The room is rectangular at 14x15 ft with 9ft, flat ceiling. As this is our family room, my wife is very adamant about it not turning into a home theater with an obnoxiously loud sound system. Furthermore, she wants to keep the speakers as compact as possible and keeps envisioning something like those Bose satellite speakers.

I am thinking about just starting off just a 2.1 or 3.1 set up, with the option to add center and/or rear channels down the road. The front channel speakers will be sitting atop a built-in that runs along the wall that the TV is mounted on, while the rear channels will be mounted on the wall directly behind the couch. I wired it so that the receiver will be tucked away in one corner while the sub can sit in the opposite corner.

The ultimate question is... can you recommend compact size (smallest possible?) speakers and a subwoofer that do not drastically sacrifice sound for size? Great if you can recommend a 5.1 set, however, I am fine pairing speakers and building the set over time. Also, this may be suited for another board but any recommendations for an amp/receiver?

edit: I should add; my budget right now is for <$1,000. If there aren't any good 5.1 + receiver set ups that are decent at the price (which wouldn't suprise me) I am okay starting with just stereo, 2.1 or 3.1 set up for now any adding on done the road.

2. Chris Strnad

Chris Strnad Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    I'm a bit biased toward and partial to Definitive Technology. The ProCinema line should be right up your alley (and have a high WAF! ;) ).They also have an architectural (in-wall) series...

3. phil2319

phil2319 Auditioning

Phil
    Thanks for the reply, Chris. I actually wired the room originally planning all in wall speakers, only for my wife to walk in 3/4 of the way through the project and tell me no. Luckily, she still okay'd bookshelf speakers so it wasn't a waste of time.

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I don't have any compact speakers to recommend, because you're much better off using slightly larger bookshelf speakers, but there that is. A 3.1 system can be pretty nice. I highly recommend you starting with 3.1 over 2.1. My other comment is regarding the "rear" surround speaker location. The back speakers in a 5.1 system aren't supposed to be behind the viewing position on the back wall, but directly to the sides, on the side walls. Yeah, I know, everyone seems to put them behind the viewer, but that's wrong and it doesn't work nearly as well as having them on the sides.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

checkout NHT or q acoustics

6. phil2319

phil2319 Auditioning

Phil
    Thanks for the tips.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  8. theJman

theJman Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Wave Crest Audio has the HVL-1 that might work. There's also the Chane A Series to consider.