What's new

Ultimate high end system (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
my 2 cents... for the longest time my dad was convinced that he had made a good purchase when he bought his am-5 system some many years ago... I never wanted to make him feel bad, so I let things be and just nodded all these years... as I've made better purchases for myself throughout the years and really critically and leisurely listened to both ht and music with him, he recently (unsolicited by me) told me during a listening session on my b&w's, "boy, this sounds great... man... the more i listen, the more i realize... my bose system really sucks"

I think it's great and ironic that such a bad decision by my dad and countless hours of listening to music and watch movies has brought me and my dad so much closer... priceless. :)

btw, I'm sure most of the bose loyalists that read this post were scratching their heads when they read the word "krell"... or perhaps even wondering what 400W meant? was that below the belt?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Surely only Bose amps are up to the quality of the cubes Why degrade the sound with amps from a small company like Krell? ;)

The Sony HTiB systems are as small & discrete as the Bose stuff, cost less and sound better. There are HTiB systems from other companies that are also comparable to the Sony's.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Bose is a classic example that spending much more on marketing than research pays big. Ever seen their television commercials? Not unless you are home sick and watching daytime television favored by the 60+ age bracket. Yes they target people with retirement income and hearing problems. (I did see a Bose commercial back-to-back with a commercial for the "Miracle Ear" hearing aid.)

I'm not trying to promote civil-disorder, but Bose sometimes has a traveling road-show at chain-stores. I have been to them and they DO sound pretty good.

But a year or so ago a member went to one of these demos and by accident went behind the screens. He found a short rack of equipment that included parametric equalizers, and I believe "Krell" amps! A lot of equipment to make those cubes sound good.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that Bose makes products that produce sound effects, as opposed to products that reproduce recorded sound. I've felt that way ever since I heard the first 901 "Direct/Reflecting"(r) "speaker" system back in late 1968.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks