What's new

Ubrella Entertainments Retro Sci-Fi Double Feature Blu-rays: Your thoughts on 2 movies on one disc? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I love some of what Ubrella Ent. has been doing, and the fact that they're series of classic retro sci-fi releases is a great idea. Much like the old MGM 4 packs from the 2013 (4 movies/1 disc), and the double feature Samuel Z Arkoff collections in 2006 (2movies/1 disc) , complimenting the good old Midnight Movies series from 2007 (2 movies/double sidded disc). I'm not sure what format they are following but the discription says 1 disc for 2 movies. Has anyone purchased any of these BRDs in this series?

If you're like me I really want the best version possible for my collection, and it seems these guys are a bit vague. For example,
No. of discs: 1
Running time: 78 + 78
Audio format: 2.0 Mono DTS-HD MA
Region: B
Format: 1080P
Colour: Black & White
Languages: English
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Subtitles: English HOH
Year of Production: 1957 + 1956
Release Date: 19/01/2022
so the OAR has been altured or?? By dropping 2 films on one disc, it feels more like a "MillCreek" release. Saving costs to them and lowering expectaiond for thos of us that are searching for the best quality edition? I already have them on DVD, What I'd like is as pristine a version as possible, is that asking too much, LOL!!!!

Attachments

• 81z4TS9J06L._SL1458_.jpg
    81z4TS9J06L._SL1458_.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 79

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Two black and white movies under 90 minutes each with monaural sound would fit fine on a single Blu-ray Disc without compromising the quality of either.

Number of discs is often used as a marketing selling point (adding a second disc to a set might cost 50 cents more per unit but allow the label to charge an extra five or ten dollars) but it’s not strictly necessary nearly as often as you might think.

(I used to work for a smaller label another lifetime ago so am familiar with the business reasoning for it.)

Over the past two or three years I’ve also embarked on a personal project to rip all of my discs to a Plex server. Doing so provides insight on how big the files on the discs actually are. A Blu-ray Disc can hold up to 50gb of data, but the vast majority of discs (including all of the ones that are reviewed very highly and praised for their technical quality) usually don’t need all of that space. Most two hours, color, widescreen surround sound films take up 25-35gb. Black and white and mono can easily come in at half that.

It’s certainly possible to cram too much onto a disc but years of marketing using disc count has given many people a false impression that a single disc isn’t enough space.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Two black and white movies under 90 minutes each with monaural sound would fit fine on a single Blu-ray Disc without compromising the quality of either.

Number of discs is often used as a marketing selling point (adding a second disc to a set might cost 50 cents more per unit but allow the label to charge an extra five or ten dollars) but it’s not strictly necessary nearly as often as you might think.

(I used to work for a smaller label another lifetime ago so am familiar with the business reasoning for it.)

Over the past two or three years I’ve also embarked on a personal project to rip all of my discs to a Plex server. Doing so provides insight on how big the files on the discs actually are. A Blu-ray Disc can hold up to 50gb of data, but the vast majority of discs (including all of the ones that are reviewed very highly and praised for their technical quality) usually don’t need all of that space. Most two hours, color, widescreen surround sound films take up 25-35gb. Black and white and mono can easily come in at half that.

It’s certainly possible to cram too much onto a disc but years of marketing using disc count has given many people a false impression that a single disc isn’t enough space.
Thanks, I'm just wanting to add editions to my collection that are as pristine as possible. I love these old cheesefests and upgrading from the older DVD editions is only advantagous if the it trult is a step up, and not a step backwards...my hesitency was also in the conversion of the aspect ration being coverted to 16:9?

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok so I have both of these on disc, but I went for the single releases from Kino and Shout, and the reason was definitely the CinemaScope presentation should reflect the release, also region locked to A.

Land looks great in 2.35:1 on the Kino disc, and it has a great commentary

Mole People looks great in 2.00:1 on the Shout release, and also has a great commentary,

plus as an added bonus you get the MST3K version, because who doesn't love ropes and asses

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
ok so I have both of these on disc, but I went for the single releases from Kino and Shout, and the reason was definitely the CinemaScope presentation should reflect the release, also region locked to A.

Land looks great in 2.35:1 on the Kino disc, and it has a great commentary

Mole People looks great in 2.00:1 on the Shout release, and also has a great commentary,

plus as an added bonus you get the MST3K version, because who doesn't love ropes and asses
I have both of these on single BRDs, I just wanted to get some feedback on releases like this. Thanks again!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The great majority of the horror and sci fi titles have been released on blu ray but from different labels. Mainly Shout and Kino. The Vincent Price sets had alot of them too.
And I can easily get behind the Kino releases as they are far more reasonably priced than those from Shout! (who seem to think every "B" or lower SF/Horror release is pure gold and worthy of a ~$30 MSRP). Kino also has better sales (those from Shout! typically price "sale" items for what, IMHO, *should* be the every day price). The Kino releases are so well priced that I've often purchased them at release while I *always* wait for a sale on almost *any* Shout! release (exceptions are those "limited number" releases and I begrudge every one of those solely due to their inflated prices).

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Not to bash on Shout, but they do have their price point and do, do some great releases, the difference is what is done with that. those Universal Horror sets are gold in my book, And they defiantly have a love for the Hammer titles. And i love the two Val Lewton releases, but when Warner Archive, releases one a full $10 cheaper from Lewton, I am happy that the Lewton films are back at WAC.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have both of these on single BRDs, I just wanted to get some feedback on releases like this. Thanks again!!
I have absolutely no issues with these double-feature discs *depending on the movies*. Almost all of the 50s "B" Horror/SF films are in the 70 minute (or less) range so 2 of them on a single BR disc isn't an issue at all (outside cataloging/filing depending on how you manage this). Even 3 wouldn't be that big of a stretch - length depending.

I wish someone state side would do these type of releases rather than the individual ones. First, because they're more cost effective, and second because the Umbrella BR releases are often region "B" locked (I'm still not region free on BR). There *are* exceptions but it's rarely for a title I'd like to purchase.

That said - I went to the Umbrella site to look these up (sometimes their direct pricing is better than from an Amazon MP vendor) to find all of their "SF Double Feature" releases are "B" locked. BUT, in a quite pleasant surprise, I discovered they've released "Frank Herbert's Dune" miniseries - both parts - on region free (A/B/C) BR for less than purchasing the German releases. AND then I found it from a MP vendor on Amazon for less than ordering directly from Umbrella so immediately ordered a copy. I expect it to suffer from the same "issues" as the German releases (upscaled CGI/visuals) but will still look much better than my DVD copies and menus will be in English.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have absolutely no issues with these double-feature discs *depending on the movies*. Almost all of the 50s "B" Horror/SF films are in the 70 minute (or less) range so 2 of them on a single BR disc isn't an issue at all (outside cataloging/filing depending on how you manage this). Even 3 wouldn't be that big of a stretch - length depending.

I wish someone state side would do these type of releases rather than the individual ones. First, because they're more cost effective, and second because the Umbrella BR releases are often region "B" locked (I'm still not region free on BR). There *are* exceptions but it's rarely for a title I'd like to purchase.

That said - I went to the Umbrella site to look these up (sometimes their direct pricing is better than from an Amazon MP vendor) to find all of their "SF Double Feature" releases are "B" locked. BUT, in a quite pleasant surprise, I discovered they've released "Frank Herbert's Dune" miniseries - both parts - on region free (A/B/C) BR for less than purchasing the German releases. AND then I found it from a MP vendor on Amazon for less than ordering directly from Umbrella so immediately ordered a copy. I expect it to suffer from the same "issues" as the German releases (upscaled CGI/visuals) but will still look much better than my DVD copies and menus will be in English.
I bought thier 3 vol dvd sets of the Johnny Weismuller Jungle Jim movie series. I had bought a burned set years ago, this series also is a childhood fav!! These are very nicely done with 2 films on each disc, and they look fantastic, definaly when compaired with the bootlegged versions!! CC has thier own release but the Ubrella series beats it by a lone shot!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I bought thier 3 vol dvd sets of the Johnny Weismuller Jungle Jim movie series. I had bought a burned set years ago, this series also is a childhood fav!! These are very nicely done with 2 films on each disc, and they look fantastic, definaly when compaired with the bootlegged versions!! CC has thier own release but the Ubrella series beats it by a lone shot!!
I have one of those JJ releases from Umbrella (the 1st IIRC) and the other 2 are on my wish list. I really hate how they'll label some of their DVD releases as R4 when they're actually region free - or at least still play without issue on R1 equipment.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have one of those JJ releases from Umbrella (the 1st IIRC) and the other 2 are on my wish list. I really hate how they'll label some of their DVD releases as R4 when they're actually region free - or at least still play without issue on R1 equipment.
They did a wonderful job!!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not to bash on Shout, but they do have their price point and do, do some great releases, the difference is what is done with that. those Universal Horror sets are gold in my book, And they defiantly have a love for the Hammer titles. And i love the two Val Lewton releases, but when Warner Archive, releases one a full $10 cheaper from Lewton, I am happy that the Lewton films are back at WAC.
Those Universal Horror titles are desirable - but at what *should* have been the MSRP of $40 or less. More than that... I can't justify the purchase as I have the DVDs which look pretty good. Had Universal done the releases of those themselves I'm pretty sure you'd have seen a $40 price tag on a set of 8 of those titles rather than $60-$65 for 4.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Those Universal Horror titles are desirable - but at what *should* have been the MSRP of $40 or less. More than that... I can't justify the purchase as I have the DVDs which look pretty good. Had Universal done the releases of those themselves I'm pretty sure you'd have seen a $40 price tag on a set of 8 of those titles rather than $60-$65 for 4.
I waited for sale prices

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thanks for the head up on the Jungle Jim 3 volume set. I to enjoy those films and have a few of the Columbia MOD titles. I’ve ordered the three volumes and looking forward to it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Wish they could do a retro peplum double feature, would LOVE The Minotaur and, say, Seven For Thebes or anything like that.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve

From what I read all Umbrella blu-rays even though they list B on the back are region free . There many reviews on youtube saying this . I have the double giant claw & the werewolf I will check out tomorrow , it says B , so will see . Same with the Imprint label from Aussie , They say B as well and there all region free . Too bad there are no caps anywhere for Umbrella Vs Anolis and SF , Criterion beats all including Arrow on the Incredible shrinking man (too bad it's such a ugly cover which Criterion seem to always botch the cover art work for many of there blu-rays )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks