Two Dual LNB's and Multiswitches

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Marx, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Daniel Marx

Daniel Marx Auditioning

Just set up a Driect TV Plus 18"x24" Eliptical dish, with two dual LNB's. I need to distribute the sat signal to a minimum of 8 recievers (two hi-def and the rest just standard). I was planning on using an 8 port multiswitch but upon looking at the multiswitch that came with the sat, I'm suddenly confused how a standard multiswitch could work. Standard multiswitches take the LNB A and LNB B and make anywhere from 4 to 24 additonal receivers. The dish however labels both LNB's A on the one side (101) and both B on the other (119). The multiswitch it came with allows only four receivers to be connected. How can I use that multiswitch along with the standard ones to get me at least 8 signals for 8 receivers?
    Dan

2. Darold_Brins

Darold_Brins Agent

Dan, you can purchase a 5x8 multiswitch, which allows two dual LNBs to be split up for 8 receivers. 2000 networks has them for sale at this link : http://www.2000networks.com/product2.html
    Hope this helps,
    Darold "Brins" Brinley

3. Paul V

Paul V Auditioning

I am confused. It was my understanding that a dual LNB will only handle two receivers at a time. Not to say that you couldn't hook up more than that, but only two different channels can be handled at one time, right?????
    Paul V

4. Daniel Marx

Daniel Marx Auditioning

Paul, yes a dual LNB alone can only handle two receivers. But there is a neat little device out there called a multiswitch which allows any number of receivers to be connected to a single dish. I've seen them go up as high as 24. They vary in cost from about $60 to $300 depending upon how many receivers you need and whether it's powered or not. They do allow each receiver to watch a different channel. I don't know HOW they work, but they do. I did find the answer to my question through this link http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/dishes/dsa8900e.htm Check it out, you might find it very helpful as well.
    Dan