What's new

Split DirecTV for dual input DVR? (1 Viewer)

Robb Cadigan

Auditioning
Hi folks. I want to move an old DirecTV DVR to a bedroom and connect it to my DirecTV dish (which has dual LNBs). The DVR is capable of receving two inputs, but I only have one existing cable coming out the wall in this bedroom (left over from my original dish which only had one LNB).

Is there a way to "split" this signal from the one coax cable to the two DVR inputs? I don't think a traditional diplexer or multiswitch will do it, but I am treading on unfamiliar territory. Do I have to run another cable or is there another way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately you have to have two lines and a splitter won't work. I ran into this problem with having a DVR and an HD box in the theater. They had to run three lines.

They had a three coax cable that allowed them to drill a single hole in the wall. That made things a little neater coming out of the wall.

Dean_S

Second Unit
You can use a multiswitch but it would be money better spent to go ahead and install an oval triple LNB dish...this dish has a 4 output multiswitch built in. This will require you to run a new cable into the house from the dish. Adding a multiswitch to your current dish will work but you will need to place the switch in a location where both outputs from the dish are accessible together and then run a one new line from the switch to the Tivo loaction

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks