Split DirecTV for dual input DVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robb Cadigan, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Robb Cadigan

Robb Cadigan Auditioning

Hi folks. I want to move an old DirecTV DVR to a bedroom and connect it to my DirecTV dish (which has dual LNBs). The DVR is capable of receving two inputs, but I only have one existing cable coming out the wall in this bedroom (left over from my original dish which only had one LNB).

Is there a way to "split" this signal from the one coax cable to the two DVR inputs? I don't think a traditional diplexer or multiswitch will do it, but I am treading on unfamiliar territory. Do I have to run another cable or is there another way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Unfortunately you have to have two lines and a splitter won't work. I ran into this problem with having a DVR and an HD box in the theater. They had to run three lines.

They had a three coax cable that allowed them to drill a single hole in the wall. That made things a little neater coming out of the wall.

3. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

You can use a multiswitch but it would be money better spent to go ahead and install an oval triple LNB dish...this dish has a 4 output multiswitch built in. This will require you to run a new cable into the house from the dish. Adding a multiswitch to your current dish will work but you will need to place the switch in a location where both outputs from the dish are accessible together and then run a one new line from the switch to the Tivo loaction