DSS Install Q's

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Peter Doten, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Agent

I like to think I know what I am doing when it comes to this stuff, but I figure someone knows more and could answer some questions for me.

In a few days I am going to upgrade the DSS in my parent's house for them. Currently they have a single LNB single room system that is about 4-5 years old. I purchased 2 used receivers off a friend, have a spool of cable (RG-6) and the requisite connectors. I also purchased a Terk Multiswitch as I thought this was necessary for multiple room installations. My questions are as follows:
    -Can I split the signal coming from the dish into the two inputs on the multiswitch or do I have to buy a dual LNB as well?
    -I know they tell you to use RG-6 but will RG-59 work at all? One of the rooms I was going to patch it to is on another floor and I was hoping to use some of the houses existing wiring. This would be after the multiswitch of course.
    -Am I missing anything, is there an easier way to do this?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Peter

MODS: If this is not in the correct forum, please move it accordingly. It seemed to be the most appropriate one to me.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

I second Roberts advice on 59, Dish Network and Direct TV use quad shielded RG6. It makes a difference. You may be able to install additional cable outlets (for dish) yourself. Use ceiling access, an unfinished basement or a crawl space, drill thru the wall from the outside to inside. You may be able to use what is called a "diplexer" it looks like a splitter, but it is really a combiner to avoid using a dual LNB dish.

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert