DSS question -- can I use a 5x4 multiswitch with one round dish (dual LNB)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The previous owner of my house set up the satellite system in this way:

From the round dish halfway up the side of my house, he made one cable run from LNB-1 outside up to attic and then into master bedroom (upstairs), and one cable run from LNB-2 outside down to basement and then into family room.

I now have two Direct Tivo units with dual tuners and need to buy a mutliswitch so I can record one station while watching another. If I understand this correctly, I will need to buy an outdoor multiswitch because the two cable runs from the dish do not go inside to the same location. There is a 5x4 multiswitch available on hometech.com that is waterproof and powered (via a coax cable) and would seem to be what I need. My question is, do 5x4 multiswitches require four LNB inputs or can I connect my two LNBs and leave the other two inputs unused? (I cannot find a 2x4 multiswitch for sale with the same waterprrof properies.)

Thanks.

2. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Most multiswitches are made to be used outdoors whether they state they're waterproof or not. There are some weatherproof 3X4 switches around. Here's one made by Terk that's available here: Terk Multiswitch.

3. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

You will need a 3x4 multi switch which you can buy from www.skyvision.com for $49.95 plus $8.00 shipping. They are designed to be installed outside. If possible, try to install it in a spot where the switch is somewhat sheltered from the weather.