What's new

Two Classics without Endings: "Only Angels Have Wings" and "A Night at the Opera&quot (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Could someone tell me how these two movies end? My Tivo failed to record the last minutes of both movies. :frowning:

Thanks.

~T

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The last important scene of A Night at the Opera is a takeoff on Il Trovatore, which is one of the more confusing plots in all of opera, even when it is not being satirized—and I think that there is some Pagliacci thrown in for good measure. If you are missing this, you need to set up your unit to record this again. It is vintage Marx Brothers.

After that, it is pretty much wrap up everything in a happy ending. The young couple are triumphant in their performance (his of course because the tenor has been abducted) This forces the manager’s hand and Groucho is able to sign them up for big contracts, plus getting everyone out of police trouble. The young couple lives happily ever after. Groucho is negotiating contract wording at the film’s end. Sample contract wording—I can’t remember which party of which part is at the end, but:

(Grocho and ChicoPay attention to this part—it’s the most important part. It says, ‘The party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part’.

It’s no good. Let’s hear it again.

It says, ‘the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part.

I sounds a little better this time.

It grows on you. Would you like to hear it once more?

Just the first part.

The party of the first part?

The first part of the party of the fist part

And so it goes…

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Thanks Lew.

For "Only Angels Have Wings," I was up to the part where the mountain pass clears up, and Cary Grant is about to go fly until Jean Arthur tells him that nobody has asked her to stay.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks