What's new

Two Blu-rays---one DVI input. (1 Viewer)

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
I have a HDCP compatible HDTV with a single DVI input. I have two Blu-ray players.....

least expensive way to hook them both up to the TV and get upscaling from both?
I currently have one hooked up with component cables with of course don't do upscaling...

ideas???

Thanks for any help.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I've heard good things about the Monoprice switchers, though apparently there can be some compatibility issues, so do a little research. I don't know what their price is, but I'm pretty sure it's reasonable.

I know you said you wanted the least expensive solution, but it might be time to think about buying an HDMI-capable receiver. Not only will these give you mutliple HDMI inputs, but they'll also allow you to take advantage of the new lossless audio codecs. Obviously, this will not be a cheap solution, just suggesting that it's worth considering.

Edit: here's a link to one of the Monoprice switches. It's pretty darn affordable.

For only $26.91 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X1 Enhanced 1.3b Certified HDMI Switch with built-in Equalizer and Remote (REV.3.0) | Auto/Powered HDMI Switch

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I recently had that problem with my old HD TV set. it was a rear projection with only one dvi port. I bought an HDMI receiver and that did help. but then I also got a switcher box and hooked it to the receiver and then the receiver to the tv. it worked fine. now I have a HDTV that has 4 HDMI ports.

Jacob

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
As mentioned you can use switch or receiver.

But which TV? If it's an old CRT model with a 480p native mode, I think you are better off running 480p for DVD anyway, upconversion isn't necessarily an improvement.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why would you need to upscale a Blu Ray; it's 1080 output? Or for DVD? In which case doesn't the Blu Ray player do upscaling? Or do you mean the TV doesn't support HD input through its component input?

If the TV supports HD via component, doesn't simply connecting a Blu Ray player that way do everything?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There are a couple limitations with connecting a BD player via component:

1. You cannot upscale SD-DVD's any higher than 480p -- any higher resolution requires HDMI, thanks to the copy protection in the BD players.
2. The maximum resolution possible via component is 1080i. If the TV is capable of receiving a 1080p signal, that can only be accomplished via HDMI. Since the TV has DVI, though, I'll assume it's an older set and in this case that is not 1080p.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aha. That I didn't know
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Having just gone through a similar cabling process (new TV, old receiver, Xbox, DVD, Tivo HD, analog cable, and antenna), I was amazed at how challenging it was to make everything work together in the right way. Having an all-HDMI system should dramatically simplify everything, but one expense at a time
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

The free solution is to only watch DVDs in the DVI / upscaling Blu Ray player. That would be my personal solution, and the price of a switcher towards a TV upgrade.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Yes, i should have mentioned the player using component is prohibited from upscaling (and tells me so every time !!)

But, I was unaware that a switcher could be gotten for so reasonable a price.
too bad not one brick & mortar store in my area comes close to those prices!!

Thanks for the info guys!!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks