What's new

Connectivity Issues with Mits WS-48413 (1 Viewer)

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Braved Black Friday for the first time ever last week. One of the items I bought was an LG BD270 Blu-ray disc player. Yes, I finally decided to upgrade.

I was surprised to find that the Blu-Ray player had minimal connection options:

HDMI out
Video Out (Composite - Yellow)
2 Channel Audio Out (Red and White)
Digital Audio out (Coaxial?)

Problem: My Mitsubishi big screen TV has the following:

No HDMI Input - that I could find anyway

Two Inputs with S-video or Yellow composite (Yellow) with Red and White for audio

-These are currently taken up by DirecTV (S-video and Red/White) and Wii (Composite Yellow-Red-White)

Two Component Inputs with Red-Green-Blue video, and then Red/White Audio.

-One of these was how I had connected my DVD player....which I intended the Blu-ray to replace.

DTV Input (HDTV component (YPbPr) (what does that mean?) or Red Green Blue plus H&V?

It also has something called MonitorLink (tm) DVI - Is this a Mits proprietary thing? - it reads as such Can I use it for the Blu-ray? Is there an HDMI - DVI converter cable I can use?

I'd like to not lose the Blu-Ray improvment in video quality through connection issues. Any recommendations on how I can make this work?

I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that my big screen TV is showing signs of obsolesence after only 5 years. I'm also disappointed that my brand new Blu-Ray disc player only comes with cheap composite cables, not HDMI. However, it was a good deal..

Any advice would be appreciated. I was looking at cables on Monoprice.com but wasn't sure how to tell which HDMI - DVI conversion cable I should choose, or if it would even work!

Thanks in advance!

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
An HDMI to DVI cable will work, however it will only carry the video signal and not the audio, so if you use your TV for sound you'll also need to hook up the audio cables. I used to have a TV that had DVI in lieu of HDMI and it worked perfectly well, never had one handshake issue with blu-ray. You can take that route or just buy an HDMI to DVI cable.

I can't believe that this player doesn't have any component outputs which would be ideal. But I guess they assume most people have TVs with HDMI now.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Thanks Chad,

I tried the HDMI - DVI with the following adapter:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

No Luck, the adapter seems to fit okay (there are a few more holes on the female set commection than there are pins in the male adapter) but...no picture comes through. I'm concerned that I've got some sort of Mits proprietary thing going on (Monitorlink?) or if there's some other kind of DVI connector I need to use.

Any additional advice?

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Tried again with the HDMI to DVI cable. This time following the detailed technical spec directions to connect HDMI to DVI, which means connecting the cable to the player first, then the TV, with both devices off....THEN turining on the TV...waiting at least 30 seconds....then turing on the player....SUCCESS!

As my wife sardonically put it..."so, the problem essentially was....you didn't read the manual"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks