What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Yeah, that must be a transcript or the close captioning of the episode rather than the actual script. As far as I know, closed captioning is done by someone with a good ear and fast fingers rather than someone having access to the script so you can't really use it as definitive proof of the dialogue.

For what it's worth, it sounds like 'descend' to me. Plus, The Woodsman doesn't seem interested in helping people ascend.

Slightly related: If I remember correctly, the "...one chants out between two worlds..." line in the 'fire walk with me' poem was spelled 'chants' in the script of the pilot and 'chance' in episode 2006 (whatever the episode is where Cooper and Mike recite the poem together) or vice versa.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
One thing's for sure: Josh is back posting, and if *this* episode didn't draw him back, he most really hate alla y'all. :D
He popped into the Silicon Valley thread (presumably where there's less worry less about spoilers) and said that he had just gotten back from a vacation so he was catching up on that, TP, Better Call Saul, Fargo, etc. I get the feeling that he may have a reaction to this week's TP episode. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Taking a page from Travis' book, I decided to read some recaps of the episode. It's not something I normally do but I thought I might find something unintentionally hilarious. One of the ones I read, the EW one, had a bunch of things I disagreed with but did mention one thing that kept occurring to me during the episode. The closest I think I've ever seen to anything like this - in terms of what it meant to the overall series, not in terms of style - was the episode of Lost called "Across The Sea" that revealed a lot of backstory for the island.

I'm really enjoying that Lynch and Frost haven't felt the need to keep all the action in Twin Peaks. One of the few things I dislike about the original run is that it kept some characters around long after they had served their purpose in the plot. It behaved like a network show - those people were in the regular cast, so the story bended to their presence, rather than the other way around. The story of Twin Peaks always seemed larger to me than just the story of its residents and their quirks and I'm glad this reemergence of the show has matched those expectations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The show has definitely become more epic and far reaching.

Did the original show ever leave the Twin Peaks vicinity? I don't think so.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Let's see... we saw Cooper in the car on the way to TP in the pilot, I don't think they establish exactly how far away he is but I can't remember for sure.

And James had that affair with that lady but I don't think it could have been too far away since Donna found him in a day.

The movie strayed further but I think you're right about the show staying in the vicinity.

Artiee

Auditioning
Real Name
Arto
The other three episodes are very much in the same vein as the first three. That being said, it does take until the fourth episode for the plot to really become more clear so you might want to watch at least one more to see if it wins you over.

Well, ep 4 was a lot more like the original series as far as I'm concerned. No more Cooper floating in space or other weird things like that. I agreed with my friend to keep watching one episode at a time and see what happens.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, man...Josh Dial just PM'd me, and I'm actually planning to "catch-up" to this latest episode probably tomorrow morning; I had to go in for an overnight medical procedure out-of-state today, and they're keeping me until tomorrow, and lemme tell ya, it's taken the strength of the Greek gods to keep myself away from all the spoilers (a buddy of mine Facebooked me when the episode aired, telling me he couldn't wait to see my reaction to it).

But I shall post again soon! ;)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oh, man...Josh Dial just PM'd me, and I'm actually planning to "catch-up" to this latest episode probably tomorrow morning; I had to go in for an overnight medical procedure out-of-state today, and they're keeping me until tomorrow, and lemme tell ya, it's taken the strength of the Greek gods to keep myself away from all the spoilers (a buddy of mine Facebooked me when the episode aired, telling me he couldn't wait to see my reaction to it).

But I shall post again soon! ;)
Spoiler: It's a doozy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Is ‘Twin Peaks: The Return’ at the point of no return?

No ratings, no buzz, no hope of resolution or clarity, almost certainly no hope of a second season. What then does “Twin Peaks” have? Certainly this: It’s an artistic triumph which, at the halfway mark, has accomplished exactly what co-creators David Lynch and Mark Frost set out to do. “Gotta Light?” was a creative high-water mark for the series and for television this year, and if submitted for an Emmy, a nomination should follow.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...e-return-at-the-point-of-no-return-1.13767671

Good article.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oddly enough, the captions are completely different on my service:

teapot.jpg

No offense intended to Mr. Lynch's artistic vision. Just something stupid that popped into my head. :blush:

A further season was never on the table, was it? I understand this was always a one-off. I'd take more, particularly if Coop isn't Coop until the very end, but I never banked on that.

Anyone planning to marathon all 18 episodes in one day when it's finished? If they can watch those extended Lord of the Rings movies back-to-back-to-back. . . .

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A further season was never on the table, was it? I understand this was always a one-off.
I always thought the same but for what it's worth, I never saw anyone say specifically that there couldn't be more. Since they're considering it to be an 18 hour movie, I would think the tale will have a beginning, middle and end. I don't know how definitive an ending there will be but even if there are loose ends or an ambiguous ending, I'm definitely not expecting any more than these episodes.

I guess I'm saying that I think that Lynch & Frost threw everything they had and said everything they want to say about Twin Peaks into these episodes and that will be it.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I always thought the same but for what it's worth, I never saw anyone say specifically that there couldn't be more. Since they're considering it to be an 18 hour movie, I would think the tale will have a beginning, middle and end. I don't know how definitive an ending there will be but even if there are loose ends or an ambiguous ending, I'm definitely not expecting any more than these episodes.

I guess I'm saying that I think that Lynch & Frost threw everything they had and said everything they want to say about Twin Peaks into these episodes and that will be it.
That's good enough for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I thought Lynch has said he was open to making more depending upon what happened. However, I am not sure a show like this is going to attract a lot of viewers. I mean even as a fan of Lynch and Twin Peaks Dougie has been a patience tester. I mean he does not ruin the show but I would like to see Dale Cooper come back. I did feel like what happened in episode 8 was the door to Cooper returning as I believe evil Cooper needs to be dispatched for good/real Cooper to fully return. It seems like they can't both exist at the same time in the same dimension. As we saw in episode 8 it appears evil Cooper survived the shooting...so I imagine this means Dougie is still in his walking coma. And the problem I have with Dougie is his story is just not interesting and feels played out. I mean how many more silly situations do we need to watch him in. We get the joke already move on.

Bottom line is if this is the last/conclusion of the Twin Peaks universe the only thing I am hoping for is a quick return of Dale Cooper and the end of Dougie. I'd like to see where real Cooper's arc takes him and I feel like that could cover several episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks