What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It'll be interesting to see if that release is DVD only, since the whole movie was shot at 480i. A Blu-ray release would require serious upscaling, and the image in that tweet gives some idea of what that upscaling would look like.
It won't really help in terms of video but since the movie is three hours long, maybe a Blu-ray release would look better since it would give the movie more space? Also, the soundtrack can be uncompressed and since Lynch is fanatical about audio, that'll be an improvement. That being said, it does seem like they'll have to be a warning or explanation at the beginning of the disc for why the movie won't look good.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It won't really help in terms of video but since the movie is three hours long, maybe a Blu-ray release would look better since it would give the movie more space? Also, the soundtrack can be uncompressed and since Lynch is fanatical about audio, that'll be an improvement. That being said, it does seem like they'll have to be a warning or explanation at the beginning of the disc for why the movie won't look good.

I have the German blu-ray from this box set:

Here's the portion of the review that comments on the video quality:

Presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1, encoded with VC-1 and granted a 1080p transfer, David Lynch's Inland Empire arrives on Blu-ray courtesy of German distributors Concorde Video.

The high-definition transfer used for this Blu-ray release (50GB) is again encoded with VC-1, as opposed to MPEG-4 AVC. I could not see any key discrepancies to mention in this review. Aside from, maybe, the reds appearing slightly richer on this release (see the screencaptures with Laura Dern), the transfer basically replicates the same source limitations that are present on the UK Blu-ray release.

So the fact that it was shot in standard definition with Sony DSR-PD150 Mini DV (480i/60) cameras, I think it looks as good as it's going to look considering the source material. I never saw the DVD release so I have nothing to compare it to but it looks pretty good to my eyes for what it is.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Strobel was fantastic in Twin Peaks from the beginning, perfectly understanding what Lynch was going for and allowing himself to work in service of that vision… but he really kicked it up a notch in the revival, adding new layers to an already deep performance. I’m sad he’s gone, but in a way, he’ll never leave as I’ll be watching him in a red curtained room for the rest of my life.

On one of the bonus features for The Return, there’s a moment of him on set with Lynch where Lynch asks him how he lost the arm. The story was harrowing and his survival was miraculous, and the fact that they allowed something so raw and vulnerable to be included was a very generous thing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks