What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this interview got posted here or not. If it did, I missed it:

The real reason Phillip Jeffries got redubbed by Nathan Frizzell in the revival
From that interview, talking about the sound in episode 8:
How did you feel watching that scene set to that music?
It felt real good. The problem is that, in the studio, we played it in the mix really loud, so it would be more like you’d hear it in a theater. Then the heartache comes when you have to dial it back for television, because they have these restrictions as to how loud these things can be and how long they can be loud for; many different rules, it’s really not so great. It’s like when you know what it can be and then you have to suffer that [dilution], and people see it on their computer or even, my god, on their phone—it’s like a nightmare. There’s so much fucking power in that scene, and in this world people would love to hear what’s there, but the machines [which we watch things through] aren’t there any more. It’s got to be full range and full loud.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
"It's slippery in here."

DYnSb47VoAAtzy1.jpg

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Happy 30th Anniversary, Twin Peaks. The world's weird enough already, so I don't think I'm going to watch it today.
I rewatched the pilot yesterday. I still haven't gone through the From Z To A set so I figured it was as good of a time as any to start. Once I finish the Star Wars set, I switch over to Twin Peaks. Nothing like having oodles of free time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m near the end of this journey again.

It’s still as incredible as it was when it aired.

And I feel closer to the ending than I ever have before. I feel like all the pieces are floating around in my head and I can feel the lightbulb powering up but as soon as I try to take that feeling and translate it into words, it starts getting slippery in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So last night I watched the final episode, Part 18. This was the first time I had seen that episode on its own. When it first aired, it was shown back to back with Part 17 and every time since, I’ve watched them together.

I was surprised at how differently it played when viewed as a solo piece and not as the second part of a two hour finale. I recall reading somewhere that although it wasn’t the hill he wanted to die on, Lynch wasn’t thrilled with the episodes being aired on the same night instead of separate weeks, and watching it with a little separation between the two episodes, I get that. It deserves to be taken on its own terms and it’s harder to do that after the expected thrills and unexpected twists of Part 17. On its own, it’s a much more desolate, unsettling piece.

I then started watching the new “Behind the Curtain” bonuses from the Z to A boxset - each part of the revival gets its own half hour of “fly on the wall” set footage. This was all material shot by Jason S, who did the five hour documentary on the individual release of the revival. I think it was @TravisR who said about the earlier documentary that it’s not only a treat for now but a real piece of film history to actually have the chance to watch David Lynch directing, and I agree wholeheartedly. These individual documentaries only add to that treasure chest.

I now wish I had watched each episode individually followed by its documentary instead of saving them all for the end. I’m seriously considering just going through it again now to do that. Although Lynch is never going to say “this is what this all means,” there are definitely clues to be found in how he’s coaching his actors to respond to the more otherworldly stuff.

And without wanting to delve in too deep and risk spoiling the fun to anyone thinking of revisiting this season, I’m picking up implications/ramifications/fallout of Cooper’s meddling with time in Part 17 throughout the season. If Lynch and Frost have done what I think they might have done, it’s really quite clever and unlike anything I’ve seen attempted in other time travel stories.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s also eerie just how the lyrics of Chromatics “Shadow” (from Part 2) seem to be describing the events of Part 18.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
It’s also eerie just how the lyrics of Chromatics “Shadow” (from Part 2) seem to be describing the events of Part 18.

Where possible, I bought every single album from which a single was featured on the show. Lynch has great taste in music. I'm Chromatics fan now. I don't think I've ever ordered an album so fast as I did with Lissie ("Wild West" is incredible!).

Ending the episodes with an uncut musical performance was bold, completely satisfying, and a little bit classy (crawling on the Roadhouse floor screaming notwithstanding). Something about that "Starring Kyle MacLachlan" is just...perfect.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It was a great way to exit each week’s installment and come back to earth without having to actually hit the brakes on the story.

There are a lot of shows being made these days that claim to be one long movie broken up into parts, but in pretty much every other case, I still see them as television (not a bad thing) because they will still behave like TV in giving each installment something of a beginning, middle and end. This limited series really didn’t do that - if you take away the end credits and musical performances, things rarely wrap up in the way any other series would. It really is like they’re hitting pause on a very long feature and the songs really serve to give each installment an ending without creating cliffhangers or neat little bows like any other show would do.

Lissie’s Wild West song in the show is incredible and lyrically also seems very on point with what’s happening in universe.

Charlene Yi’s scream and the musical performance it happens during is one of my favorite moments in the entire show. A lot of people online have posted theories about what that meant and I tend to think if you’re crafting theories and using charts, you’re missing what Lynch is doing, but regardless of who’s right or wrong on that front, it’s one helluva moment.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish I could get into that film. I’ll watch it yet again but I doubt the result will be any different.

I wonder when we’ll get word of when the Netflix show is premiering. 2023?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not Peaks, but nice Lynch-news. This was tweeted by Janus (Criterion) today:

It'll be interesting to see if that release is DVD only, since the whole movie was shot at 480i. A Blu-ray release would require serious upscaling, and the image in that tweet gives some idea of what that upscaling would look like.

I wish I could get into that film. I’ll watch it yet again but I doubt the result will be any different.
Love it or hate it, Inland Empire ushered in the current era of Lynch's filmmaking, by really opening him up to the possibilities of digital filmmaking. While Inland Empire was pretty much made up on the fly, and the "Twin Peaks" revival was very carefully scripted, I don't know that the "Twin Peaks" revival would have been possible in the 35mm era; Lynch already had to push Showtime hard and threaten to walk to get the budget he wanted for this. Shooting it on film would have been a longer and even more expensive proposition.

I wonder when we’ll get word of when the Netflix show is premiering. 2023?
Last I heard, it was canceled. It was supposed to go into production in May 2021, but that didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks