What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If the Woodsman was broadcasting in 2017:

woodsman.png

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A thought or two.

Could the young couple in episode 8 be the Richard and Linda the giant mentioned in the first episode? Also in the first episode it looked like Cooper was in the castle on the mountain (black and white) and not the Black Lodge ( red curtains). The Giant tells Cooper "you are far away" and then Cooper vanishes/short circuits.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Could the young couple in episode 8 be the Richard and Linda the giant mentioned in the first episode?
My guess is that Richard is Richard Horne, the charming individual who likes to sexually assault teenage girls at the local watering hole and run down small children with his truck, and Linda is the disabled veteran who's married to the guy who caught a ride with Carl Rodd into Twin Peaks with.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
What if this is Janey-E and Sonny Jim?

mrs-tremondchalfont-and-pierre-tremondchalfont-a-mysterious_2ngr.640.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A not-entirely-random anecdote as we wait:

This week I've been rewatching this season of episodes, not really looking for extra clues or hidden meanings but just to stay immersed in that world. Normally I'd watch a movie first and then an episode of a TV show, but Twin Peaks is so weird and unsettling and hypnotic that I'll usually flip that and watch a lighter movie afterwards. I figure you gotta start out with the weird thing and not do it right before bed.

I've also been rewatching Planet Of The Apes movies and last night was Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. I watched it first because somehow it is even weirder than the Peaks episode I was up to. I love Beneath but man is that a crazy movie. When Twin Peaks seems "normal" by comparison...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tonight's episode is my second most anticipated episode other than the premiere. After "Got A Light" I'm on the edge of my seat.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The establishing shots of Twin Peaks were all so great especially the one where the sun was coming through the trees behind the Sheriff's Department.

I liked that this episode had the trademark David Lynch scenes where things take place way too slow for a TV show like Deputy Chad picking up all of his lunch, walking towards the door, asking Hawk to open it and then leaving or the scene with Cole, Diane and Tammy standing and smoking for way too long.

So evil Cooper pulled the Major into the Lodge (?) and Briggs spent the next 25 years there.

I'm guessing that Johnny Horne is the guy who ran into the wall.

A mention of a Blue Rose case.

Another great episode. Love the Dana Ashbrook scenes as Bobby.
Yeah, I loved that Major Briggs was right about his son ending up right after a tough adolescence. By tough, I mean dealing cocaine to fellow high school students and shooting a guy in the head during a drug deal.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This one topped Parts 4 and 7 as the one that felt most like the original series in pacing and tone. It was smart to sandwich the avant-garde Part 8 between the two most conventional episodes so far; to stay too out there for too long risks turning something captivating into something boring.

I think Part 9 gave us the first concrete confirmation that the various story threads are playing out at the same time. The message from Major Briggs to Bobby, Hawk and the sheriff specified that there were to be 253 yards from Jack Rabbit's Palace on 10/1 and 10/2 at 2:53. Sheriff Truman noted that 10/1 was two days away, which would place that storyline at 9/29. When Bill Hastings circles the photo of Major Briggs and signs and dates it, he dates it 9/29. Based on the fact that Cooper entered the Black Lodge in March 1989, it appears that the revival is set in September 2014 (except for the stuff set in the 1950s).

Interestingly, the blog is a real thing: http://thesearchforthezone.com/ It lists a last updated date of November 2015, which would seem to imply that Hastings makes it out of custody at some point. Matthew Lillard did some great work in this episode.

And the Cooper storyline is really kicking into high gear. Both the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department and the FBI are now in possession of Major Briggs's message that there are two Coopers, though only the Twin Peaks side seems to have figured out what it means. The Detectives Fusco have a mug with Cooper's fingerprints and DNA in for testing, which should trigger a match in the FBI database. The timeline makes it clear that the Cooper in Las Vegas can't be the same Cooper that just escaped prison. And in that scene in the Las Vegas police station, Cooper is occupied by the patriotic stirrings of the American flag, until a woman wearing red heels very reminiscent of the ones Audrey wore draws his attention to the electrical socket. Seeing it seems to have stirred some recognition. As we continue to wait for the "old" Cooper to come back, these last couple episodes have used "Dougie" in exactly the right amount.

It was shocking to see Sky Ferreira in Baby Driver yesterday and then looking so different as "Ella" in this tonight. In Baby Driver, her Brazilian roots were on full display with brunette hair, golden skin and immaculate makeup. In tonight's hour, she appears looking very much like her September 2013 mugshot, with acid blonde hair, dark circles around her eyes, blotchy skin and bad teeth. And two completely different, great performances. They seemed to be speaking some sort of code or in joke. Is the zebra, with its white and black stripes, an escaped prisoner? Is the penguin a cop, or maybe a businessman?

I don't know what I was expecting from Tim Roth, but "Hutch" wasn't it. Very much a Lynchian character, but not one that would seem to require an actor of Roth's caliber.

I will never, ever tire of our little cutaways to Jerry Horne, higher than shit in the woods.

The establishing shots of Twin Peaks were all so great especially the one where the sun was coming through the trees behind the Sheriff's Department.
This entire revival has had incredible establishing shots.

I liked that this episode had the trademark David Lynch scenes where things take place way too slow for a TV show like Deputy Chad picking up all of his lunch, walking towards the door, asking Hawk to open it and then leaving or the scene with Cole, Diane and Tammy standing and smoking for way too long.
In both cases, the extra time was used to great effect. In the case of Chad, the reluctance of the new Sheriff Truman, Hawk and Bobby to open the door for him when he had his hands full spoke volumes about their feelings toward him. In the case of the smoke break, the extra time allowed us to see Diane soften toward Gordon, and maybe give us a glimpse of what she was like before her encounter with Dark Coop.

So evil Cooper pulled the Major into the Lodge (?) and Briggs spent the next 25 years there.
I don't think it's the Black Lodge, since it seemed like Briggs was hiding from the forces of the Black Lodge. It seems more likely that it was the White Lodge, which he'd visited in the second season and which we saw briefly at the beginning of Episode 20. Still unclear is the manner in which the Major and Ruth died. It seems like it happened Over There, wherever "There" is.

I'm guessing that Johnny Horne is the guy who ran into the wall.
The woman who finds him called him "Johnny" and Jan D'Arcy is again credited as Sylvia Horne. Interesting that we've now seen the entire Horne family except for Audrey.

A mention of a Blue Rose case.
The nice thing about that beat is that it shows just how "in the know" Diane was, when both Sam Stanley in Fire Walk With Me and Tammy Preston in this have been kept somewhat in the dark.

Speaking of Tammy, her interrogation of Hastings was the first time I really dialed into her character. It was the first time Chrysta Bell projected any kind of real competence in the role. In previous scenes, even when Tammy was acting competently, Bell undercut it with her performance.

Yeah, I loved that Major Briggs was right about his son ending up right after a tough adolescence. By tough, I mean dealing cocaine to fellow high school students and shooting a guy in the head during a drug deal.
It was great getting another Lynch alum, Charlotte Stewart, back reprising her role of Betty Briggs. Her and Ashbrook really sold the hell out of those scenes. When Bobby was showing the sheriff and Hawk how to open the oblong metal cylinder, Ashbrook's performance really called back to that wonderful diner scene in Episode 8 where the Major shared his vision with Bobby. As much of a little shit as Bobby was back then, there was real love in the Briggs household, and real patience and understanding. And seeing that reflected back a quarter century later was wonderful.

I still think the scene in Fire Walk With Me where Bobby shoots Cliff Howard was an ill-advised retcon, since Ashbrook never played Bobby as a killer in the original series. A selfish, obnoxious little hoodlum yes, but not a murderer. This revival seems determined to ignore it, which is A-OK with me.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I think Part 9 gave us the first concrete confirmation that the various story threads are playing out at the same time. The message from Major Briggs to Bobby, Hawk and the sheriff specified that there were to be 253 yards from Jack Rabbit's Palace on 10/1 and 10/2 at 2:53. Sheriff Truman noted that 10/1 was two days away, which would place that storyline at 9/29. When Bill Hastings circles the photo of Major Briggs and signs and dates it, he dates it 9/29.

I just re-checked my recording and, by my eyes, the date was 9/20.

Here's the best image I could pull:
Twin Peaks Date.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks