Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I'm torn between being extremely frustrated by the fact that the last episode before the Fourth of July break only inched one of our many plotlines forward, and being wowed by the avant garde tour de force that ate up the final three-quarters of the running time.

It appears that the Trinity nuclear test created an opening for BOB to enter our world. I actually found myself a bit moved by the idea that the Giant and Senorita Dido saw this and sent us Laura Palmer as a countervailing force. It makes her a sort of Christ figure, being condemned to great suffering to drive away a great evil.

As for the girl in 1956, I suppose it depends on which orb the creature that crawled inside her hatched from. On one hand, 1956 is twelve years after Leland Palmer was born, and the girl looked about twelve, so it fits that she could be Sarah Palmer. On the other hand, the Woodman was the one who broadcast the message that prepared the girl to receive the bug, and they murdered people and generally seemed to be agents of dark forces. So it would seem more like that the bug was BOB. Perhaps the girl's family vacationed next to the Palmers.

The Roadhouse really has a great booker to get "The" Nine Inch Nails to play a place that small.
I had the exact same thought.

Josh Dial

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
That was the most Lynchian thing I've ever seen, and I loved it. An avant garde piece from a master.

Also, the stage in the White Lodge was Club Silencio (from Mulholland Drive), right?

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Also, the stage in the White Lodge was Club Silencio (from Mulholland Drive), right?
It looked like that to me but I don't know if it's supposed to be the same place.

I would say my favorite episode so far...
Mine too if only for Lynch & Frost's audacity to make an episode like this. Not every TV show needs to be like this but it's refreshing to see something different every now and then. I can only hope that other people are inspired by its creativity.

I like to imagine them showing Showtime this episode. "Yeah, the whole episode is like this! Isn't it great?!"

Greg_S_H

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It would be hard to not see Eraserhead in a lot of this. The mushroom cloud static was only missing Jack Nance's iconic head. I kind of wish Senorita Dido had puffy cheeks so she could be the Lady in the Radiator.

I was kind of hoping that the Doppleganger getting shot would lead to Cooper snapping to reality. Maybe it'll lead to that, but I have very little idea what the fuck I just watched. In a good way? Maybe.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
The Twitterverse is going nuts! Love it!:P

Charles de Lauzirika

✔@Lauzirika

Sometimes, amazing things break the internet. I'm pretty sure tonight's #TwinPeaks broke the universe.

10:00 PM - 25 Jun 2017

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/twin-peaks-part-8-trending-worldwide-tweets/
Madchen Amick's Tweet was pretty funny.

Another good Tweet I saw was from Rian Johnson who said "Several times during tonight's #twinpeaks my eyes dried out from not blinking"

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/879195860009013248

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
So the Woodman was taking the "light" of his victims I assume.

I thought at one point he said "Got light?" Instead of "Got a light?"

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
So

Did the atomic bomb blast create some kind of portal thru which this evil entered our realm and created Bob? And Laura was created to counteract that evil as a sacrifice? One of my theories.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
From reaction to this episode it seems that last night crystalized Twin Peaks fans into two groups, those who love the show because of David Lynch, and those who love the show in spite of him. I fall into the first camp, and am amazed and delighted that Showtime was willing to produce this.

The last time I was this confounded by television was watching Cooper dream and seeing the red room the first time. I love that there is a venue for an artist as challenging as David Lynch to share his vision. And I am ecstatic that Twin Peaks hasn't fallen into the trap of fan service, with a revival that tries to precisely recapture the tone of the original, trading on nostalgia to offer up a feel-good reunion.

Twin Peaks remains wonderfully strange and groundbreaking and I couldn't be happier!

The scene with the woodsmen appearing after Ray shot the doppelgänger was the scariest thing I'd seen in a long time. And before the hour was up, the show topped itself with the convenience store, "Gotta Light?" and that creature crawling into the sleeping girl's mouth.

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Am I simple to see a Lost Highway connection in the way the roadways were filmed? Maybe Lynch just likes that shot. I mean, I don't think it's an intentional bridge between the two, but I do like the idea of these film worlds all being connected if only in superficial ways.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
Brian
Am I simple to see a Lost Highway connection in the way the roadways were filmed? Maybe Lynch just likes that shot. I mean, I don't think it's an intentional bridge between the two, but I do like the idea of these film worlds all being connected if only in superficial ways.
I saw the same thing except when evil Coop and Ray were on the highway and then suddenly they were on back roads I thought to myself, "They're going to see the Cowboy." ;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Okay, easily the freakiest hour of television I've ever seen. And that's not a bad thing. Look, when Lynch tries to do narrative, it often falls flat, but when he goes off his meds or ON his meds or whatever (it's scary to think that's his brain on normal) that brings rise to these types of visions, it's disturbing as hell, but it's also a bit mesmerizing. Put me in the plus column on this one.

Greg_S_H

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I saw the same thing except when evil Coop and Ray were on the highway and then suddenly they were on back roads I thought to myself, "They're going to see the Cowboy." ;)

I've got a dream that after Twin Peaks, Showtime greenlights a Mulholland Drive series (assuming Lynch wants it). I need to know what happens after you speak to the Cowboy three times.

No more BCS, so I guess I'll rewatch Gotta Light? tonight. Wish me luck.

I'm thinking of introducing some friends to Twin Peaks. Should I start things off with Gotta Light?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wombat