What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I guess some of the original characters were non professional actors and they're reprising their role here. The Log Lady is painfully amateurish. Perhaps the slow speaking pace was mean to help them. Or perhaps they were paying for the script by the word?

I noticed she was on oxygen in her scenes. That doesn't change my impression of the two episodes.

Catherine Coulson had cancer and died within about ten days of filming. Not only was she on oxygen, she was quite obviously in a lot of pain, and her speaking and breathing belabored not because of a dramatic choice but because she is literally dying.

That she filmed anything in that condition is a beautiful parting gift to the fans, and from where I sit remarkably selfless.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Catherine Coulson had lung cancer and died within about ten days of filming. Not only was she on oxygen, she was quite obviously in a lot of pain, and her speaking and breathing belabored not because of a dramatic choice but because she is literally dying.

That she filmed anything in that condition is a beautiful parting gift to the fans, and from where I sit remarkably selfless.
I'm certainly not meaning to disparage The Log Lady. As I recall her performance, it makes more sense to me now, the way she acted. However, because of the overall style of the production, her performance fits in and I'm not one of the bunch that likes that much weirdness.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
image.jpg
This weeks EW came with a very cool 3D lenticular cover! :thumbsup:

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I'm certainly not meaning to disparage The Log Lady. As I recall her performance, it makes more sense to me now, the way she acted. However, because of the overall style of the production, her performance fits in and I'm not one of the bunch that likes that much weirdness.

I think it is fair to say that some of the performances are unusual, in part because Lynch was influenced by the emotive 1950s Hollywood melodramas popularized by Douglas Sirk. A couple of observations about episodes 3 and 4, which I will spoilerize in case people have not yet seen them:

Interesting to note that the shift from melodrama, which we see as over-the-top and hammy today, to the more realistic style of method acting was popularized by Marlon Brando. I wonder if Wally Brando's appearance is in any way a not to this?

I also think that at least one actor, Chrysta Bell, as Agent Tammy Preston is rings really false to me. I thought that Lynch, speaking to Denise as Cole, was slyly acknowledging his tastes, and that he hires beautiful women simply because they are beautiful.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I also think that at least one actor, Chrysta Bell, as Agent Tammy Preston is rings really false to me. I thought that Lynch, speaking to Denise as Cole, was slyly acknowledging his tastes, and that he hires beautiful women simply because they are beautiful.

I've always felt this was true since Naomi Watts didn't even audition for Mulholland Drive. Lynch picked her out from head shots that the casting director provided and on that alone had a couple of meetings with her where thereafter she was hired for Betty/Diane.

b2ed190281ff50d71aab85038fdf10ba.jpg

As far as Chrysta Bell, Lynch has collaborated with her on two music projects:

Wikipedia | Chrysta Bell | Musical Collaboration with David Lynch

This Train (2011)

Somewhere in the Nowhere (2016)

Here's an article and photoshoot on Lynch and Bell from 2012.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/david-lynch-presents-new-muse-chrysta-bell-in-l-a-20120803

98c6da85c4068d326fc37016dfd1a7f1.jpg

1b5cd77c44be0c7c93f20108b34022b2.jpg

5ca6c08a545732497d967f8da475fee2.jpg

rs-6451-rectangle.jpg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

How can you be "not one of the bunch that likes that much weirdness" when you win for the weirdest and most surreal avatar here?! ;) :thumbs-up-smiley:

269147.jpg

If I could've pegged anyone around here to "like that much weirdness" it would have been you! :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How can you be "not one of the bunch that likes that much weirdness" when you win for the weirdest and most surreal avatar here?! ;) :thumbs-up-smiley:

269147.jpg

If I could've pegged anyone around here to "like that much weirdness" it would have been you! :)
Would you believe it's a good likeness?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reports were incredibly inconsistent. The official press release from Showtime suggested that us getting Parts 3 and 4 early was a one-time thing, and that'd we'd all be back on the same page for Part 5 on June 5th.

However, a lot of media outlets reported when announcing the premiere date that on May 28th, the June 5th episode would appear online, and so on and so forth for the rest of the season, so that online was always one week ahead of broadcast. However, I've seen absolutely nothing from Showtime to suggest that this is happening, and the app currently says that Part 5 will premiere on June 5th.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah. I'm disappointed not to be getting a new one on Sunday, but I think the benefits outweigh the negatives, especially when it comes to discussions here. And that just means that I have between now and June 5th to rewatch Parts 1-4 again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks