What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
960.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
With all those adjectives, I thought James was the new Mr. Ripley. Or he is singing on a new Fiona Apple record.

I don't have years of built up experience with Twin Peaks, so I liked James.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I saw Fire Walk With Me in a theater last week and you could tell that the TP fans were there because there was laughter almost every time James was on screen. Fuck 'em, I'm with Shelly- James is cool.

Well, I am a Twin Peaks fan but I do not get this stuff about James and whether he is "cool" what is this all about? Is Wally Brando cool? I mean he is apparently attempting to look like Marlon in The Wild One...

Watching episodes 3 and 4 last night I found myself laughing a lot. Seemed like much more comedy in these episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I am a Twin Peaks fan but I do not get this stuff about James and whether he is "cool" what is this all about?
I guess due to James Marshall's performance and putting the character in arguably the worst subplot of the original series, alot of Twin Peaks fans mock the character. Due to that, Frost & Lynch presumably felt the need to have Shelly specifically say that James was cool.

Is Wally Brando cool?
Absolutely.

Watching episodes 3 and 4 last night I found myself laughing a lot. Seemed like much more comedy in these episodes.
Yeah, it's a different type of comedy from the original episodes but I was surprised by how many laughs there were in the two episodes this week.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I really am feeling like I'm watching an SNL parody of Twin Peaks instead of the real thing now. I'm sorry, but throwing in these random star cameos like Michael Cera doing the world's worst Brando imitation of idiocy is just indulgent for the sake of being goofy.

Like, I'm sure so many guest stars want to come aboard, and there's really no way to fit them into any kind of coherent narrative relevant to anything else, so let's just have them improvise something wacky. Duchovny sure got to vamp (but it did make me laugh).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Cera was hilarious and fits in absolutely in the Twin Peaks mold. I didn't find it indulgent at all. Brilliant is more like it imo.

And that goes for the first four episodes for me. I've loved every "guest star ". Working for me 100% so far.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yeah, I don't know Cera from a hole in the ground, so his presence held no baggage for me and I loved that scene. A bit of pure Lynch absurdity, and so beautifully executed, both in Cera's delivery and in the reactions.

Duchovny's character is a return from season two, btw.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This revival is not for me. I could only watch half of the first episode. I might return if the board can convince me that some kind of coherence is around the corner in Episodes 2,3,4

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Maybe we're in for the most epic crossover in history. Dale says, "Call for help!" Minsky shows up and says, "I can help!" How did they coordinate this so well? And what does the East Berlin opening portend for James Hurley?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This revival is not for me. I could only watch half of the first episode. I might return if the board can convince me that some kind of coherence is around the corner in Episodes 2,3,4

To me, this current revival of Twin Peaks is remarkably coherent - everything so far has made a reasonable amount of sense to me, keeping in mind that we're not supposed to understand every single nuance yet.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
THERE THEY ARE, ALBERT! FACES OF STONE!!

As far as the Wally-sequence goes, (beyond me being an unapologetic Michael Cera-fan), the simple fact that Cera is playing such an absolute flake with Robert Forster as the straight-man is enough for me. A great scene with Frank Truman, exposition out of the way, and the fact that Wally namedrops "Lewis and Clark" (a heavy nod to The Secret History of Twin Peaks) and an odd relation to DoppelCoop™.

Wally and DoppelCoop™ have both been on Earth around the same number of years, and I focused on Wally's line -- paraphrasing, "My shadow is always with me, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, to the left to the right..."

Could be just layer and tone, or apophenia, but it's what I got out of it.

(Also, I got a huge kick out of Cera's pronunciation of "Caucasians" -- "Caw-cay-zee-yans.")

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To me, this current revival of Twin Peaks is remarkably coherent - everything so far has made a reasonable amount of sense to me, keeping in mind that we're not supposed to understand every single nuance yet.
The first pair of episodes seemed like a lot of plots, new characters and new locales were being dumped on the audience but yeah, the next two, I felt like there was a plot that I was following. Unlike, say, Legion where I had trouble following the plot so I just had to trust that the writers know what's happening (that may sound like a critique but it's one of the things that made Legion great and exciting to watch).

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There was an episode of the original show where he found she was the only person he'd ever met that he could hear and converse with in normal tones. :)

Forgot about that, you're right, we'll probably see that bit again. It's no surprise one of the most interesting things about the series is always Lynch's sound design. He pays as much, if not more attention to sound than anything else (certainly any natural-sounding dialogue). And I always enjoy the groups he showcases at the end of each episode. The Cactus Blossoms were right out of Roy Orbison meet the Everly Brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks