What's new

Twin Peaks returns in 2016 on Showtime (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
David Lynch’s ‘Twin Peaks’ Revival Met With Standing Ovation In Cannes

Fifteen years after serving as the Jury President here at the Cannes Film Festival, and 27 years after collecting the Palme d’Or for Wild at Heart, David Lynch returned to the Grand Theatre Lumiere tonight with the two-hour premiere of his Showtime series Twin Peaks and received a huge five-minute standing ovation.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/david-lynch-twin-peaks-cannes-film-festival-standing-ovation-1202102666/

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I did not make it through the premiere. The sweet release of sleep pulled me away halfway through.

If this were not a David Lynch project, I'm not sure how people would react to the off kilter, almost amateurish acting and the general, "shot with an iPhone" look and feel.

As a huge fan of the original series, I will probably force myself to finish the premiere and the first couple of episodes, but this ship appears to have sailed off course for me.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I watched Episode 3, which was Tier 5 drug level WTF! I find I get more amusement out of wondering what any newcomers to this show are thinking more than having total patience with it myself. My wife bailed after the first 2. She now claims she just liked the music and the makeup on the girls the first time around but she's not up for this weirdness anymore. I suspect it was also the Tier 1 bong back in the day.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I watched Episode 3, which was Tier 5 drug level WTF! I find I get more amusement out of wondering what any newcomers to this show are thinking more than having total patience with it myself. My wife bailed after the first 2. She now claims she just liked the music and the makeup on the girls the first time around but she's not up for this weirdness anymore. I suspect it was also the Tier 1 bong back in the day.
My wife and I were sober when watching the S1 of the original. We found it quirky, funny, and sure, strange. We enjoyed. Than S2 came around and left us behind, as it apparently did much of America as it was canceled after S2.

Ok, I don't want to be a threadcrapper here, so I've made my opinion clear enough and don't feel I have anything more to add that is worthwhile. I'll be lurking.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From Deadline

The premiere of Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival drew 619,000 viewers in Live+3, up 113,000 from the same day linear viewership of 506,000. For the premiere night, the audience total has grown to 804,000 viewers in L+3. The linear viewership for the revival’s debut was edged by the streaming one, with the total for the two-part premiere at 1.7 million across platforms, including streaming and on demand.

As we reported previously, the return of David Lynch’s iconic series sparked a record number of signups for the Showtime subscription service. After the Sunday night two-episode premiere, Showtime offered episodes 3-4 of the 18-episode reboot to subscribers, Showtime Anytime and Showtime On Demand, resulting in the single biggest day and weekend of signups ever.

Twin Peaks has the highest percentage of streaming viewership of any Showtime original series to-date, and the most streaming viewers ever for an original series debut, the network says.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
From Deadline

The premiere of Showtime’s Twin Peaks revival drew 619,000 viewers in Live+3, up 113,000 from the same day linear viewership of 506,000. For the premiere night, the audience total has grown to 804,000 viewers in L+3. The linear viewership for the revival’s debut was edged by the streaming one, with the total for the two-part premiere at 1.7 million across platforms, including streaming and on demand.

As we reported previously, the return of David Lynch’s iconic series sparked a record number of signups for the Showtime subscription service. After the Sunday night two-episode premiere, Showtime offered episodes 3-4 of the 18-episode reboot to subscribers, Showtime Anytime and Showtime On Demand, resulting in the single biggest day and weekend of signups ever.

Twin Peaks has the highest percentage of streaming viewership of any Showtime original series to-date, and the most streaming viewers ever for an original series debut, the network says.
Another thing that's good for Showtime is that Twin Peaks is the first one of their shows that people are actually talking about since the early days of Dexter or Homeland.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
If you're not into pure Lynchian surrealism—like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Rabbits, and Inland Empire—then this new Twin Peaks: The Return just isn't going to be for you. But for those of us who love our Lynch pure (and by that I mean that the original Twin Peaks was not pure Lynch) this revival is hitting all of the marks and is a welcome comeback from one of America's greatest filmmakers since he hasn't made anything since 2006.

tptr_01.png

tptr_02.png

tptr_03.png

tptr_04.png

tptr_05.png

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I missed the word "not" the first time I read that and was rather confused. But, I'm a fan of all of those (particularly Lost Highway, and I've never seen Inland Empire) and this is definitely just right. As someone said above, I do spend half my viewing time bemused by the thought of a newcomer encountering this material.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you're not into pure Lynchian surrealism—like Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and Inland Empire—then this new Twin Peaks: The Return just isn't going to be for you.
Yeah, I mean there's movies or TV shows where I basically think "You just don't get it, man!" but this is a true case of where it is just not for everyone.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Jensen deserves some kind of award for getting as much out of him as he did. Trying to do postmortem interviews with someone who likes to let the work speak for itself as much as David Lynch does must be a nightmare.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He is the fucking best.
You got that right. I had a friend who interviewed Lynch probably a decade ago and my buddy had just been to a Lynch art exhibit and so he told Lynch that he accidentally brushed up against the Six Men Getting Sick painting and he jokingly asked if he was going to die from that and Lynch's response was "No, you just got a big blast of cosmic energy." That's an answer that is both wonderful and strange.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ A great Lynch-quote from that Variety interview:

Well, that could be season four, then — a prequel. In the main, do you watch much TV?

I watch some news. I watch the Velocity Channel. It’s about cars. That’s my new love, this Velocity Channel and the different shows where they customize cars and restore cars. It’s pretty great. These car guys are real artists, some of them. Some of these cars are so beautiful.

Do you watch any scripted TV?

I loved Breaking Bad and Mad Men.
Freaking cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks