What's new

Twilight Zone to be one of Images first HD DVD/Bd releases (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Same here. Given its age, it's the arguably best TV release ever. I had the single disc releases and bought the S1 set with some reservations if these season sets would be worth the upgrade. Those reservations dissapeared as soon as I watched the discs- they're great TV and great DVDs.

Of course you know that about a month after you pick it up, Image will announce the HD release. :)

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm still working on finishing the fifth season and I'm still amazed at the quality.

-Reagan

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Looks like Image is Blu-Ray exclusive. Their first two releases are Breaker Morant and Suburban Girl streeting on 1/15.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Nope. I believe they've announced/released some IMAX titles for both formats.

Not to mention this trio of concerts being released on HD DVD next month.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
there isn't a lot of elements of visual fx they had composit into the series. i'd probably put it @90% live action film. so if they remaster it for HD discs, i think it would ROCK!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Will they? I don't know. I know Image licensed them from CBS, kind of like Criterion licenses from other studios. But I don't know how long their license is good for or what all it includes. And at this point Image is being sold, so I don't really know what the future of that company is.

Frankly I haven't heard anything at all about TZ in HD for quite some time. It maybe a dead issue.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah but that announcement was 15 months ago, and I haven't heard anything after that. Have you?

Doug

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the current dvd set from Image is outstanding in just about all respects. The a/v itself is already a big step up from the earlier releases, and the supplements are both generous and substantive.
The only quibble I have with the complete set is that the packaging looks rinky dink to me, and apparently some people have had to re-glue aspects of it that came apart.
But the price (with the DD sale) is killer.

If I didn't already have the first two solo seasons, I would pop for the complete set.
If it ever does get announced for HD, it is
1) unlikely to be anytime soon, with so many studios complaining of poor sales on catalog titles- and so many fans of this having already bitten the bullet and upgraded on DVD
2) likely to be quite expensive and/or parcelled out one season at a time and then later on collected as a full series set

For me personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the set now- and enjoy it, and then make the decision in the future whether or how soon to upgrade.
If you already own a high quality version of the material- you can afford to bide your time until the HD price levels are well with a comfort or impulse upgrade zone.
just my $.02

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I already own the all of the definitive sets. I don't see what this series has to gain from being released in HD. The current sets look great and are more then good enough for something as old as The Twilight Zone. I know some people would like to have them in HD, but as for me, I won't be upgrading.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I have all 5 seasons of the definitive sets also, however I would upgrade to an HD version if it were out there.

Doug

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
current sets look good, but could look ever better, better grain resolution, detail background, etc. compare the casablanca DVD vs. HD DVD. there's a huge difference.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet for the complete set with the DDD sale. Can't wait forever for the HD version....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bought the standard set during DeeDee's sale. These look like what I grew up with (most likely better than late night TV of the late 70s early 80s). Very happy. Could not be happier! HD versions? No sale!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
While the current Definitive Edition DVDs do indeed look amazing, I have no doubt that a Blu-ray release would absolutely be better. I'll be first in line to get 'em WHEN they're released (not IF....!).

Why not? I've already bought this series THREE times already (once on VHS, twice on DVD), and it IS my favorite TV series of all time....

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
from the current tv series released on BD have been selling, you're looking @same price as heroes BD releases. the 1st season as an example is 36 1/2 hr episodes. divide that by 2 is around 18 episodes nearly full hour. heroes season 1 is $70 for 23 episodes.

fox is charging 70 for just 17 episodes of firefly on BD!

plus, studios will factor in these boxsets won't sell as well as new content, so they will jack up the price to recoup these season sets. just look at sopranos on BD! it's absurdly priced =P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks