What's new

Twilight Zone to be one of Images first HD DVD/Bd releases (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i'll remove the word silliness but isnt that post just the same as saying we shouldnt be watching tv shows before HD on any format with higher res then old fashioned ota tv.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some people think that and that's their opinion. We can't all agree that everything needs to be on higher res media. I won't be repurchasing these boxsets and will use my HD players to upconvert. Buying this series twice on dvd is enough.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't wait to get my new HP display with HDMI input just to see
how well it upconverts these DVDs to 1080i.

I have never seen DVDs upconverted and I hope its as dramatic
for me as has been reported here.

I also feel that because of upconversion, I will not be repurchasing
any TV shows on HD-DVD. I'm even being very careful about the
films I repurchase on the new format.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
you can get the same effect of upconversion by popping a DVD into your PC's DVD drive. it's the same effect.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm glad I didn't buy the Twilight Zone season boxes they had at Costco last week...

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Well, I maybe would by the HD-DVD of TZ if it's really a big improvement over the LD's I have and if it's in 1.33:1! I also hope for good audio.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The question is whether the shows will stand up to the increased scutiny of HD. When these shows were shot HD was not available. The sets, makeup, special effects etc were geared for non HD tv. What may look okay on a non-HD tv may not look as good on a HD tv set. Soap operas had to upgrade their sets because the old ones looked fine on standard tv but looked cheesy in HD.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it really depends on which shows and what they ultimatelly stored on in the long term, if it's VHS, then SD resolution will be good enough, but i'd still like to see shows encoded in VC-1 480p, that's supported in HD-DVD/BR correct? it'd be awesome to own an ENTIRE season on 1 disc.

on the other hand, if a show is stored as film, i think film captures a lot of details. even if it reveals production defects, i don't really care. it's about archiving the best possible picture detail as possible. so if TZ is really stored on film, i'd like to see a 1080p minted from that for posterity's sake.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Terrific news! I'll buy them. Glad I didn't bother with the currect DVDs. My taped Sci-Fi channel copies will do until...

I'd heard TZ: The Movie was coming. Very excited! Another VHS I can replace.

The original TZ "Kick the can" eps kicks Spielberg's version in the booty. ;)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
No network or syndicated show was ever shot on VHS, and hopefully taped shows are preserved in a better format. NTSC-based shows should be presented in 480i30. Filmed shows should be 1080p24, and if it reveals flaws in the original production, them's the breaks.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i was referring to storage. sometimes, that's all there leftover. film is gone.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Most episodes are, but a few look like they were made from kinescopes, and I can't imagine any hidef medium helping them to look better.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, let's all not jump ahead until we see the results. i think we will be sufficiently surprised when it comes to pass. film inherently holds much more info than SD-DVD can display and HD medium can show more of the information than SD-DVD can. so, let's wait and see =).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Anybody heard any further word on TZ in HD...?
I just watched a ton of the SciFi marathon and I'm jonesing big time and seriously debating snagging the definitive SD boxest which has come way down in price. $169 for all 5 seasons and I've heard they look amazing. But if these truly are coming out in HD in the relatively near future...

:)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm still itching to get these. When money isn't so tight in my life, those HDs better be out or I'll most likely go with the SD. Life's too short to be without TZ on DVD!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks