What's new

TV Shows on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Would you buy something you already own ? (1 Viewer)

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator
I might buy shows twice that I consider really essential and if they offer better picture or sound quality than the DVD release.If they would make new releases of shows that are already out on DVD "complete series" sets on the HD format, package them nicely and make a fair price I might sell my old DVD's for some shows.

On the other hand I don't like to double dip for stuff which explains why I haven't bought a single Star Trek DVD release so far. I have all the Trek I'm interested in on Video already (official tapes, not self-recorded) so I didn't see the need to pay the horrendous price Paramount asked for their DVD's.

I definetly will get a HD content player - maybe the next generation of gaming consoles will feature Blu Ray(PS3) and HD-DVD(XBox 2) playback. That would be a great first step into the mediums. As to what discs I will buy for the new formats it depends on the price and extra value I get.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
It seems alot of responses are those saying "only those that are shot HD" or "I like older shows and they are not HD".

I may be mistaken but I thought ANYTHING shot on film, would greatly benefit from HD as film is as high res as you can get. Therefore older shows like Star Trek would be clearer than probably you should see them, while the Next Gen, mastered on video tape, would not.

Anyway, I would unlikely buy them again.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

I'd expect they'll use super dooper technology to double the resolution of shows that were edited on video such as Star Trek Next Generation, so that they will appear better despite the source limitations.

That would help persuade me.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Aside from live broadcasts, such as award shows, sporting events or stuff on HDNet or Discovery Channel, not very much is actually shot in high definition. Despite that, shows like C.S.I and E.R. look AMAZING in high definition, and The West Wing has its moments. I would immediately repurchase TV Shows such as C.S.I., The Sopranos, The West Wing and Star Trek: Enterprise (the fourth season was actually shot in high definition video). Those who say the difference between DVD and HD is only minimal at best must not be watching High Definition TV on a nightly basis. I have DVD movies I can no longer watch because I saw it on HBO-HD and now the DVD look like crap in comparison. And after watching College and professional football and basketball games in HD, I can never go back to regular television or even DVD for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks