What's new

TV Shows on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Would you buy something you already own ? (1 Viewer)

Adam T

Agent
I have looked forward to seeing HD on DVD for a long time and since the announcement of HD-DVD and the movie studios releasing HD-DVD's, I had this question I needed to ask. I think everyone in this forum has heard of the battle of the formats between the major electronic companies, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. While the battle of format continues some studios have already planned releases of movies and TV shows to HD-DVD as early as October. Maybe I am the only one but I have not found any indications and probably won't find the average cost of a HD-DVD player and HD-DVD. Not to mention if there is two formats the requirement to own both players I would assume adds more to the cost.(Unless someone knows)

For now I will assume that it will be somewhat the same price as they are today maybe a little more. Warner Bros. is planning to re-release "'E.R.,' 'The West Wing' and 'The Sopranos'" according to Cnet.com news. Maybe this is a stupid question but I want to ask it, Would you pay another $50,$60, or maybe even $100 dollars for a tv show you already own as well as the different players to play them and what format would you like to see them in?

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Depends on the show. A lot of the stuff I own was shot on 16mm film so an HD version won't get me much! But those aren't prime candidates for HD releases anyway. For new stuff shot for HD it would depend on what it gets me. Did the original release only have a 2 channel sound track included? Are there new special features? Is the HD version priced reasonably? Maybe, and only for really great shows I love, like Lost.

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese

Yes - but there would have to be at least a scintilla of improvement in picture quality, otherwise - no; and only after the war is over - be it via a clear winner or an established coexistence.

I'm rooting for Blu-ray.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The only show that springs to mind is Northern Exposure, but only if they will get ALL of the original music put back in.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Depends on the release and the content. Frankly, it's going to be a while before HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD players are affordable. I probably won't break down and get one until a big release, say Star Wars or something along those lines is released in the respective format.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If its a current show shot in HD i wouldnt mind upgrading. However most of my collection is older stuff not shot in HD

capt

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
No, unless it is a very recent show, there would be no real advantage of having it in HDTV as oppose to DVD.

Plus, I think DVDs hold enough where space isn't going to be an issue like VHS and I'd rather have a show over three or four DVDs than one because if that one DVD goes bad on HDTV, you could lose a whole set.

Paul

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
If the source material is only capable of SD-resolution, no. If the source material is capable of being re-transferred, perhaps, although the danger is that anything shot with SD in mind wouldn't stand up to the extra detail afforded in a HD transfer (cheaply-built sets, that sort of thing).

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
No. Most of my tv collection isn't even WS much less HD.

I won't upgrade until something like Lord of the Rings is released on HDDVD. Honestly, apart from artifacting, dvd is more than enough for most film and WAY more for tv.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Like most people have said, no way.

I own all 9 seasons of "The X-Files", all 3 seasons of Star Trek TOS, all 7 seasons of Star Trek TNG and all 7 seasons of Star Trek DS9, which when totaled up is well over $2600. Enough said.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Good thread Adam!

Those are the quotes that best sum it up for me as well. I can think of only 1 TV series that I'd consider on HD, and that would be some time after the "war" is over and pricing on players have dropped considerably.

Christi P

Agent
I really wonder how well HD-DVD and Blu-ray are going to do - the DVDTalk forum recently had a thread on the subject of upgrading regular DVD's to HD-DVD, and most people had the same response - No, unless it is something like Star Wars or Spiderman. Most people have no intention of upgrading the vast majority of their collections.

Now, I think it is safe to say that those of us who post here and at DVD Talk are more obsessed with DVD's than 90 percent of the population, and if we aren't going to binge on HD product, who will?

I have no intention of upgrading anything, and I'm not planning to switch to HD or BluRay unless they completely replace regular DVDs.

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I won't re-purchase anything I already own on DVD. The extra quality won't be that great, particularly for TV material originally shot on Video.

Regardless I won't be buying anything until the dust settles and a clear winner between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray emerges.

I doubt I'll be looking at buying anything HD for 3-5 years. But if things happen quicker than that maybe I'll change my mind.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
It will probably be several years before the dust settles on the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format wars so until then, for me, upgrading to high definition is a non-issue.

I do plan to upgrade most of my movie collection (VHS tapes) to HD when one of the format's becomes dominant. Having been through numerous format wars (45s, LPs, reel-to-reel, 4-tracks/8-tracks, cassettes, CDs 16-bit, 24-bit, DAT, etc. - Beta/VHS, 8mm-tape, DVD, etc.) I early on decided not to upgrade my movie collection until high definition (which has been talked about for 20 years) became the new standard. I Netflix any new movies I'm interested in, only buying those in DVD that are obscure and may not come out in another format for a long time.

When I upgraded my TV/stero system in 1999, I put off purchasing a DVD player, knowing full well DVD was an 'interim' product designed for obsolescence from the outset. I remember reading about the coming high definition revolution in "Video Review" in the 80s. It was only after my son gave me a DVD player in 2002 that I began to realize DVD's potential and have enjoyed the many features and better picture that it offers over VHS. Still, I always saw DVD as a "gap" product between VHS and high definition DVDs.

Thus, I bought most of my TV shows on DVD knowning full well that I would not upgrade them, with a few exceptions, such as Carnivale and the Sopranos which will benefit from the added relsoution. Of course, once HD DVD becomes the dominant media and the price stabilizes, I will then purchase HD TV shows.

Coming from an time when portable movies you could actually 'own' was science fiction, I love being able to own, collect and watch my favorite movies and TV shows. However, I'm tired of re-purchasing the same shows/music etc. over and over at the enrichment of media conglomerates who see me as a never-ending purchaser (sucker).

Thus, I'm looking forward to high definition, but on my terms. After all, super-HD is coming; well, maybe not today, but it's coming...trust me! :D

Rutgar

Second Unit
Well, there's always something new on the horizon. But, if you wanna swim, you gotta jump in somewhere.:D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really don't know if they'll be THAT expensive, will they? I mean from what i've heard about the new compression scheme for the new format(s) they'll be able to fit an entire season of a show on 1 disc instead of 6 or more.

That would cut down on material cost I would think. And to answer the question, assuming the price isn't as high as stated, yes I would. My two biggest problems with tv shows on DVD right now is the sheer volume of titles and the price. I feel swamped by how many good shows are available in different stages of seasons that I just cannot catch up on because of the expense involved. Perhaps HD-DVD or Blue-Ray could change that for me by offering a lower price for the shows I want.

It's kind of a moot point for me anyway right now, considering that I don't plan on upgrading to the new format, which ever it shall be, until it's had a chance to prove itself reliable as far as the hardware goes (tired of getting new technology that breaks down because they're still working the bugs out) and software. Assuming it launches late this year, I predict that i'll get into it late 2007 or early 2008.

Adam T

Agent

All you hear today is the battle of the format and I have not heard or seen any information about what each format can do. I thought that there would be no compression on HD-DVD considering there will be 15GB or more of space on the DVD. (But then again this is coming from someone who knows little on DVD technology, so if I'm wrong please correct me). It would be great if a studio could fit an entire season of a show without losing any picture or sound quality. I would like to see more information from one of the companies. You would think with a huge advertising war coming at the end of the year there would be a little info.

Reading alot of the responses I will guess that a small majority will not buy a tv show if it wasn't shot in HD. I don't know if some of you know or seen Hogan's Heroes on HDNET. This is a show produced from 1965 to 1971 and I assume it was not shot for HD. I take it HDNET mastered it in 1080i so it can be shown on their network. I have not seen the original on tv but just seeing it on HDNET it looked pretty damn good. I know it isn't the same as if the show was shot in HD but it looks good. Would you buy the show then and if the picture was different from that of a HD show (I know there will be), how much of a difference do you think there will be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks