What's new

TV on DVD news roundup (2 Viewers)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Interesting.

SeaQuest DSV on ten bluray discs. Wonder if Mill Creek will just cram 7 or 8 episodes per bluray disc.

IIRC, my season 2 dvd set of SeaQuest DSV had 8 single-sided dvd discs.
Well, there were only 57 episodes, so that would be about 6 episodes per disc.

And 8 single layers would be 4 dual-layered. So 4 for S1 (23 episodes), 4 for S2 (21 episodes), and 2 for S3 (13 episodes - 6+7)

Not outrageous

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Hmm... do I really want SeaQuest? Maybe if there's a huge sale.

Also, thought Balthazar might be another BattleStar Galactica spin-off for a moment.:laugh:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Well, there were only 57 episodes, so that would be about 6 episodes per disc.

And 8 single layers would be 4 dual-layered. So 4 for S1 (23 episodes), 4 for S2 (21 episodes), and 2 for S3 (13 episodes - 6+7)

(To be more specific).

IIRC some of the season 2's eight dvd discs, were actually two-layer single-sided dvd discs with two or three episodes per disc.

My guess as to why this original Universal SeaQuest DSV season 2 dvd set had eight discs, was that it was probably originally authored to be four double-sided flipper discs. Though with the bad publicity + too many returns of defective flipper discs dvd sets during 2005-2006, most likely Universal changed their mind at the last minute and decided to release this DSV season 2 set as eight single-sided dvd discs in late 2007. (It appears the home video division was not willing to "re author" the set to be six two-layer single-sided dvd discs).

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
A "space opera" in the deep oceans ?
From what I have seen of SeaQuest (not much), it feels like Star Trek TNG with even less tension, and educational content shoehorned in a la the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. But I have very little TV on disc from the mid-90s, and maybe this would be one of the better pickups from that weak field.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
SeaQuest on Amazon is already under $60, so that's pretty good. I love the series, so I'll probably snap it up. I was about to pull the trigger on the overseas releases, but I'll wait to see how these review.

SeaQuest was an updating of Voyage tot he Bottom of the Sea with a TNG spin. The first year was mostly more science fact/adventure. The educational content was usually limited to the end credits (first year by Bob Ballard and year two with various members of the cast- never Roy Scheider).

I loved the first season dearly. I thought it was a great family friendly adventure series with really good actors and fine stories. Year 2 was - as usual for SF shows "on the bubble" retooled and, also as usual, not for the better. It still had some good episodes, but for the most part, it got pretty dire. The, somehow, it was renewed for a third year when the show NBC was gonna put on Wednesdays was scrubbed from the schedule and SeaQuest was retooled - again - as SeaQuest 2032. Roy Scheider, who wanted desperately to get off the sub by this time, was relegated to a few guest appearances and replaced by Michael Ironside. The series was scaled back to something more realistic as they jettisoned the high soncept/low brow SF and replaced it with more military SF adventure. Characters died, got story arcs and the show really settled into a fine format. But the damage was done and the show was preempted and moved so often, it didn't have a chance. It was yanked off the air before they could air all of their completed episodes, the final 3 unaired were first seen on The Sci Fi Channel reruns.

I - LOVED - the third year. It fired on all cylinders from the start and I was crushed when it was cancelled. Which is funny because if they had dropped it at the end of year 2, I wouldn't have cared.

Anyways, I'll be happy to pick up some Hi Def SeaQuest.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
SeaQuest on Amazon is already under $60, so that's pretty good. I love the series, so I'll probably snap it up. I was about to pull the trigger on the overseas releases, but I'll wait to see how these review.

SeaQuest was an updating of Voyage tot he Bottom of the Sea with a TNG spin. The first year was mostly more science fact/adventure. The educational content was usually limited to the end credits (first year by Bob Ballard and year two with various members of the cast- never Roy Scheider).

I loved the first season dearly. I thought it was a great family friendly adventure series with really good actors and fine stories. Year 2 was - as usual for SF shows "on the bubble" retooled and, also as usual, not for the better. It still had some good episodes, but for the most part, it got pretty dire. The, somehow, it was renewed for a third year when the show NBC was gonna put on Wednesdays was scrubbed from the schedule and SeaQuest was retooled - again - as SeaQuest 2032. Roy Scheider, who wanted desperately to get off the sub by this time, was relegated to a few guest appearances and replaced by Michael Ironside. The series was scaled back to something more realistic as they jettisoned the high soncept/low brow SF and replaced it with more military SF adventure. Characters died, got story arcs and the show really settled into a fine format. But the damage was done and the show was preempted and moved so often, it didn't have a chance. It was yanked off the air before they could air all of their completed episodes, the final 3 unaired were first seen on The Sci Fi Channel reruns.

I - LOVED - the third year. It fired on all cylinders from the start and I was crushed when it was cancelled. Which is funny because if they had dropped it at the end of year 2, I wouldn't have cared.

Anyways, I'll be happy to pick up some Hi Def SeaQuest.
Thanks, can't get a much more positive review than that. I remember not liking the teenage character (Roy's son I guess?), and feeling the whole enterprise (no pun intended) was a little too family friendly. But that 3rd season does sound intriguing.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks, can't get a much more positive review than that. I remember not liking the teenage character (Roy's son I guess?), and feeling the whole enterprise (no pun intended) was a little too family friendly. But that 3rd season does sound intriguing.
Not his son. Lucas was put on the SeaQuest as a favor to his father, an important scientist who was too busy. His mother was mentioned but his parents were divorced so he was kinda tossed aside and was bitter and snarky about it. When Lucas and Captain Bridger met, they clashed but Bridger's own son and wife died earlier and the two formed a bond. Their evolving relationship was one of the high points of the first year.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have a question about Night Court. The complete series is out on iTunes now in HD. I thought the show was shot on videotape? Would these be upscales, or was the show actually shot on film and nobody knew?

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Why did you think The Bionic Woman on Blu would be an easy next decision to be put out?
Because the work on the crossover episodes and reunion films was done, so that's a handful of Bionic Woman episodes remastered. The Bionic Woman has an equally large (if not larger) fanbase than Six Mill (at its peak it was the more popular series). It just makes sense to do the sister series in HD at the same time, especially when both are almost always mentioned in the same sentence. I would have been surprised if this didn't happen.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Hmmmm .....

No word yet on a complete series dvd (or bluray) set for the Magnum PI reboot.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks