What's new

TV Display Resolution Confusion! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A little over 7 years ago, we purchased a 32" Inch Toshiba Flat Screen TV with a listed 720p Resolution.

Over the past few weeks, I've been connecting my Acer PC Laptop to this TV via HDMI cable to play my 2 Season DVD sets of THE MONKEES episodes, as for some unknown reason, they won't play properly on our Samsung Blu-ray player.

Here's where it gets a bit interesting. This morning, while viewing the "Going Down" opening on "The Wild Monkees" Season 2 episode, I decided to try and adjust the brightness, when I discovered the following:
Annotation 2019-11-30 120246.png

The listed 1920 x 1080 Display Resolution caught my attention! Why this default setting for what I've long assumed to be a maximum 720p capable display? Is there something that I was missing? The full screen screen snips that I took, like the one above are even 1920 x 1080p, whereas on the built in Laptop Screen, they max out at 1366 x 768p!

Here are a couple more 1920 x 1080p screen snips with some more specs:
Annotation 2019-11-30 120152.png

Annotation 2019-11-30 120050.png

Any thoughts?

CHEERS! :)

EDIT: Even when using the "View actual size" function on the Windows 10 Photos platform, the image expands past the monitor screen edges on the built in 1366 x 768 Acer Laptop, but NOT on the Toshiba TV screen. For that screen, "View actual size," and "Zoom to fit" display EXACTLY the same! Very intriguing!

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Are you in the U. S. ?

could have bought a new one for super cheap this weekend.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Because it’s “1080 capable” display and tells the source it can accept that resolution. The TV then takes the input down to 720p.
Whereas, on the Acer PC Laptop itself, that's not going to happen with the built in 1366 x 768p display. That makes sense. Thanks, Dave! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Are you in the U. S. ?

could have bought a new one for super cheap this weekend.
No, I live in Southwestern Ontario. TV's are cheap enough here, we just totally lack in any spare funds and we have no credit, either. Anyway, in my google searching yesterday, I ran across an article that stated for 32" Inch screens and under, the difference between 720p and 1080p is barely discernible, for whatever that's worth. If anything, I'd be looking for a 4K TV, which ain't happening, either!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks