What's new

Help troubleshooting picture "freakout" (1 Viewer)

sonofawhatthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Eamon
We have an entry level receiver: Sony STR-DH720, and an Optoma projector (i don't have model number handy but can chase down if necessary).

A few weeks ago we started to see a recurring issue where the image displayed on the screen would start getting distorted like all the red was missing or it would have a "saturated look" to it. We had a "protect" warning occur a couple of times too. I unhooked a couple of the speakers when that happened, cooled the receiver down and we haven't seen that since.. but the image "flip out" still occurs on DVD, Satellite TV and Xbox. The "cure" is what has me confused.. we turn the projector off.. wait a few moments and then turn the projector back on and the image is fine again.

I have suspected this is a receiver problem, and not the projector, but why would shutting the HDMI-connected projector off and restarting it fix the issue (temporarily)?

Something possibly related: We have long struggled with our setup for a variety of a reasons- but almost always it's surrounding HDMI connections either not carrying sound, not giving us the correct resolution, latency and "flippiing" between analog and digital audio. But we had a few months of stability before this lastest round of issues.

Also possibly related: a cable installer working on replacing the cable box upstairs (not part of this theatre setup) said something to my wife to the effect that he suspected (my term) "stray voltage" and possible improper grounding. Not sure if this was due to an appliance? or that outlet? or the house in general??

Thanks in advance for any consideration

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It sure could be a ground loop.

It would also help to take a pic of this picture problem. Only guessing if we have no visual to go on.

Is the AVR stuffed inside a cabinet where it can't breath?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Its way harder to trouble shoot issues with multiple components, for now skip passing video through the AVR and go direct to the projector.

sonofawhatthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Eamon
Thanks for replies gents. Today we bypassed the AVR by passing the Cablebox signal HDMI straight to the projector and running the sound to the AVR from the BD via Coax.

Same problem about 20 minutes into the movie we rented on demand today (HD). I'm guessing that "bigger content" like BluRay or HD tv produce the problem more frequently / quickly but that's mostly a guess. We turned off projector for a few moments.. restarted it and had good picture for about 20 more minutes.. then during a bright part of the movie it started to go "saturated" and then it was muted green as though the red had gone out.

So now I guess we have projector issue and not the receiver after all. Or maybe the long cable that feeds the projector? That seems unlikely- not a lot of moving parts in an HDMI cable..

For what it's worth,I'm attaching a picture of the screen. The movie was a little dark and we of course couldn't use a flash on the camera to the picture isn't very helpful.

Okay- apparently n00b's can't upload pictures. Let me figure out a different method.

sonofawhatthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Eamon
Now the projector won't turn on and the owner's manual said that the device won't power on with a burned out bulb so I'm hoping this is the case. I have a few questions for your best guesses:

1. I hate to buy an expensive bulb only to find out that it's actually a bad board or something. Any way I can troubleshoot the bulb and find out if it's actually the problem?
2. I was thinking the bulb would actually be fairly binary- it's either working or it's burned out. Do these HD projector bulbs have "issues" before they burn out (such that I was describing)?

sonofawhatthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Eamon
sonofawhatthe said:
Now the projector won't turn on and the owner's manual said that the device won't power on with a burned out bulb so I'm hoping this is the case. I have a few questions for your best guesses:

1. I hate to buy an expensive bulb only to find out that it's actually a bad board or something. Any way I can troubleshoot the bulb and find out if it's actually the problem?
2. I was thinking the bulb would actually be fairly binary- it's either working or it's burned out. Do these HD projector bulbs have "issues" before they burn out (such that I was describing)?
bump??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
We still have nothing to go on.Is the fan still working?Typically no, a bulb won't cause issues like this.Have you checked for dust/dirt in the vent?

sonofawhatthe

Auditioning
Real Name
Eamon
Hi again y'all. I apologize for going "dark". I set this problem aside for a long while as we were out of the state for better part of a month. I also wanted to show my son that he could live without the projector since he wants to use it just about every waking moment that we let him :)

Here's where I stand after a bit more google-izing. I've seen a few threads that have users duplicating my problems of green/purple/blotchiness and the responders point to potential problems around the "color wheel" and "cleanliness" I'm going to assume that these problems constitute the bulk of my issues so I'm doing surgery. Pray for me :)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165581/official-optoma-hd20-thread/2880

If anyone can shed any more light on the subject by all means do so. As I said I'm a n00b and I am not at all confident with my next steps. I figure I don't have a lot to lose by trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks