What's new

Color settings on TV can be set to different levels for each device, apparently! (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier this morning, when I set my 32 Inch Toshiba 720p Flatscreen TV with the Color turned all the way down to 0 so that I could view a Colorized episode of I DREAM OF JEANNIE in Black & White on my Toshiba DVD Recorder.

I also use the same TV as a Monitor for my PC Laptop. What I noticed is that when I switched back to my PC, the screen reverted back to Color without my having to make any readjustments. In turn, when I switched back to the DVD recorder, the 0 Color setting remained in place. I’m guessing this is probably not news for the more technically savvy among us, but it is to me!

One question that springs to mind is will the Color settings (Or any other settings) for my DVD Recorder device remain the same even if I shut it off, or does the power have to remain on? I should clarify that I did the calibration solely via the TV's settings, as opposed to anything that might exist on my DVD device!

CHEERS! :)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Some displays offer individual settings for each video input used. Others have global settings values for all the vide inputs. In other words, the settings selected for one input would be repeated for all the other inputs. Powering off an external video source device would not change the settings in the display.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some displays offer individual settings for each video input used. Others have global settings values for all the vide inputs. In other words, the settings selected for one input would be repeated for all the other inputs. Powering off an external video source device would not change the settings in the display.
Thanks very much for your helpful post, George! My display must be of the individual settings for each video input variety, then. This is also good to know in the event of a power out or power blink!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
What happens in this case: All inputs (cable, Blu-ray, whatever) go into the receiver and come out of one hdmi cable. Does the TV see only one input for calibration?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What happens in this case: All inputs (cable, Blu-ray, whatever) go into the receiver and come out of one hdmi cable. Does the TV see only one input for calibration?
It depends. If it's receiving the same signal from all sources, then yes. But if there's a change in resolution, from 1080p to 4KHDR, for example, the set will switch picture modes.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It depends. If it's receiving the same signal from all sources, then yes. But if there's a change in resolution, from 1080p to 4KHDR, for example, the set will switch picture modes.
Most everything (most) on cable is going to be 1080p. A 4K blu ray or 4K streaming or maybe my Firestick plugged into an aux-in are about the only way I’ll see 4K, I think. So I calibrate using a 4K disc, but then watch an HD Blu-ray or cable, what happens? Are you saying the one input to the TV can have different modes and I should calibrate each of the possibilities the tv might receive.

Color me confused.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The TV HDMI input port is the deciding factor. Separate calibration settings can be done for each, at least with my two HDMI TV input ports setup.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Most everything (most) on cable is going to be 1080p. A 4K blu ray or 4K streaming or maybe my Firestick plugged into an aux-in are about the only way I’ll see 4K, I think. So I calibrate using a 4K disc, but then watch an HD Blu-ray or cable, what happens? Are you saying the one input to the TV can have different modes and I should calibrate each of the possibilities the tv might receive.

Color me confused.
You need to calibrate SDR and HDR separately, even if the sources are sharing an input.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How do I do that? Provide an SDR source, calibrate, provide HDR source, calibrate. The TV will remember the separate calibrations and auto switch to the correct one? Are SDR and HDR only on 4K discs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks