What's new

Tuning Frequency for a sub (1 Viewer)

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I am designing a new sub using Adire Audio's AV8 and playing with WinISD to do so.

The question I have is how do I know what tuning frequency I want?

By changing the tuning frequency, I find that I could almost use any size box but of course the tuning is different along with the port size/length.

I want a small size vented sub to match the Jordan JX92s in a 6L sealed box.

I planned on making the M8a but my wife wants a "small" speaker and the Jordans got rave reviews...so I guess I will dive into "full range" speakers.

Thanks Dean

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I think I remember that a rule of thumb is to tune near the driver's Fs. That would be around 36 Hz. Also remember to check the the Q of the alignment you are designing. You probably want it somewhere near .7

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
Ummmm… actually the idea of tuning a VENTED sub is to extend it's lower frequency response.

There are several schools of thought on that, but basically the *ideal* theoretical tuning is slightly below the driver/enclosure's natural roll-off (not actually the drivers Fs) so the response curve will give you a perfectly flat plateau. If you increase the enclosure size you can lower the tuning creating a double plateau with slightly reduced output but an extended bass response (often referred to EBS). Doing the opposite (decrease enclosure, raise tuning) has the opposite effect and creates a small bump in the response (often referred to as a punchy sub)

The Qb is an inherent characteristic of a sealed sub... and 0.7 to 0.5 is considered a flatter audiophile sub while >0.7 is a little more peaky.

Hope this helps...
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks