What's new

HBO Max True Detective: Night Country (1 Viewer)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
The thing with the research scientists...

They are presented here as the real bad guys. I found this kind of ridiculous. Hilariously, they supposedly told the people that run the mine to up the level of the toxins they were releasing into the environment because it "softened the permafrost" which made it easier to extract samples or something. So, in the most Spinal Tap manner possible, the mine ups their level of pollution to 11 times what they normally would be releasing into the environment. This just on its face is...well...kind of stupid. I honestly do not believe that scientists trying to get pure samples for a project would want massive levels of toxins dumped into the area they are trying to extract samples from. This just seems the type of gobbledygook someone throws into a story to explain away something they wrote themselves into a corner with.

Plus if you had a company and someone asked you to find a way to pollute the living crap out of the town you were in, literally asked you to release 11 times the amount of toxins into the community which you knew would harm and kill people, including babies, when you do not have any reason to do this, and you will end up getting blamed for it if it comes out, why the hell would you do that?

So, sure, the scientists kill Annie but they are basically mass murderers anyway because they have asked the Silver Sky Mine to poison the living hell out of the people of Ennis, killing babies, women, men so they can supposedly find some miracle cure buried in all the toxins.

The funny thing about the show is everybody is a murderer covering up various murders. It's really just asinine writing. Ennis just seems to breed murderers. Everybody has this dark secret about someone they killed and then covered up killing them...particularly the cops but even the cleaning ladies union. Basically, the message here is don't move to Alaska.
Yeah, that basically sums up all the things I did not like about this. And that is all I have to say about that.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who likes it? Sure, S1 was great, but IMHO, so was S2.
It's not as good as the first but the second season is still excellent. There's such a massive glut of "You have to see <fill in the name of a streaming show>" shows now that most people don't go back and watch old TV shows anymore but if they did, True Detective: S2 would have been 'rediscovered' by now.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It's not as good as the first but the second season is still excellent. There's such a massive glut of "You have to see <fill in the name of a streaming show>" shows now that most people don't go back and watch old TV shows anymore but if they did, True Detective: S2 would have been 'rediscovered' by now.

Yeah, I enjoyed season two of True Detective as well. It sort of reminds me of the situation with Jackie Brown. When it was released it seems like a lot of the criticism was that it wasn't Pulp Fiction 2.0 and I think the same thing applies to a fine season two of True Detective. It just had a difficult time living up to the genius of season one.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks