What's new

Trouble fixing a geometry problem... (1 Viewer)

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to fix a geometry problem with little success. The screen looks like this at the top:

I've read over the material at panny.tv and I've also read through the service manual and it doesn't seem possible to fix this. First, when I bring up the box with the cross in the service menu, I can't even see the geometry problem. It's obvious when I'm looking at a movie, but here it's hard to tell. Second, after looking at the adjustments you can do, there doesn't seem to be one that will fix this problem without causing problems somewhere else on the screen.

Any suggestions as to how to tackle this problem?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Chris, what is your overscan set at??

Can you send me a Jpeg of the screen (less than .5 megs)?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,
have you tried to fine tune that part of the screen? You have two modes for geometry adjustment: 1) coarse and 2) Fine. Use the second one, and move the blinking cursor to the part where you have the problem, choose fine point, and adjust as best as you can. Then move to another part of your problem and do the same and so on. You will have to readjust all your problem areas because each one has to do with the other. Hope that helps!

Hugo

Chris Chang

Stunt Coordinator
have you tried to fine tune that part of the screen?
I've done fine convergence already and the lines don't seem to bend when looking at the grid. Actually, you can't really tell it's there when you look at a still image. But, it's really apparent when watching a 1.85:1 movie and there are straight lines like a wall or building near the top. Kind of strange...

Evan Hartnett

Stunt Coordinator
I just noticed this on my 47wx42 the other night... It's not too bad, no one else has mentioned it, but I could tell there was a bend when I was watching the ending credits of a movie (they looked like they were rolling off the top of the screen). I've also done the fine convergence and everything looks like it's straight - I'd be really interested to know if you come up with a solution.

"You have two modes for geometry adjustment: 1) coarse and 2) Fine"

I just got this set last week also... can anyone give me some quick pointers on these two geometry adjustments?

I was pretty good with my old Toshiba (regarding the grid convergence tweaking)... just need to know how to get into this mode, and the command buttons to use...

Thanks!

Ming Wang

Agent
download the service manual from panny.tv website. it's quite easy to follow the steps (regarding what buttons to push, that is, not how easy to correct all geometry problems). it's actually not wx42 manual, but many people have used its instruction on those sets and seems they are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks