Samsung CRT HDTV - need help with settings

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Cory Bevilacqua, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Cory Bevilacqua

I have a Samsung TSL2793HF, a 4:3 ratio 27" CRT HDTV. I noticed that with widescreen movies, the black bars on top and bottom were not straight - they curved up at the sides of the screen along the top of the picture, and down along the bottom. I went into the service menu to try to make some changes and nothing seemed to help. I ended up just doing a Reset thinking the initial settings would be better, but boy that was a mistake.

The geometry is going to be trial and error I suppose, and I'll be smarter about it this time. I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what settings I should test to try to fix the screen curving towards the corners.

The reset also brought up another problem. There's a very noticeable white shimmer on the screen if the contrast is too high. The default setting for the TV is 100% on contrast. I can make the shimmer go away by lowering the contrast to around 70% - but the fact that the default is 100 and that produces a very odd shimmer troubles me. Is this normal?

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I would lower the setting of contrast..to about 40 or so.
    I own the hcr4755w samsung tv set.

I have everything under 50 percent. I have brightness set at 2-30 (changes a bit). I have sharpness at 35-40, and color at 40-45.

Jacob

3. Cory Bevilacqua

Ok, the contrast and brightness issues seem to be fixed.

I spent two hours trying to make the geometry work, man is it difficult. Going through the settings, I realized that bits to each side of my image, and on the top and bottom were getting cut off. No amount of messing with H-Size, H-Shift, V-Size, and V-Shift was able to get the full transmitted image displayed on the screen at once. The shifts only shift in the area the screen is currently displayed, and the sizes only expand in equal lengths from the center of what is being displayed - there's no way to actually shift the whole image to the left or right (or up or down) while keeping the other properties. So I just got it so about equal amounts were cut off all sides, and it was as small as I could get it.

The way the image curves towards the corners still confounds me - none of the geometry settings seemed to have any effect on this. I could really use some advice on this aspect of the tuning.

I did just order an Avia DVD from Amazon to help me out, and I imagine that will be good for color and contrast and brightness, etc. - but will that help with this geometry? I'm starting to think the geometry isn't really that pliable and you're basically stuck with what you get from the factory. I'm thinking my next HDTV (aka in 5 years...) will be an LCD or anything digital. I hate tuning geometry just to get the whole image into the frame, I did it with CRT monitors for years because I loved the display quality, but I finally broke down and got an LCD monitor for my PC and haven't been happier because I never have any adjustments to make besides brightness and contrast.

edit: Ok, this seems like an exercise in pure futility. Things look different when in the service menu than they do in normal viewing. Plus the TV randomly forgets my settings and goes to random ones. And it resets the contrast and brightness settings every single time I go in the service menu. I swear Samsung software engineers must hate the consumer.