What's new

Trailers (1 Viewer)

Danny_Tam

Agent
Why do most of the trailers on DVD's wind up looking sharper, more colorful and film-like in appearance than the actual movie itself?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Moving this to Software.

It might be helpful if you gave specific examples. I've seen many DVDs on which the trailers look significantly worse than the main feature.

M.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I've seen many DVDs on which the trailers look significantly worse than the main feature.
Ditto but there are occasions when the trailers are on par with the feature film. Some examples would indeed help because I can't recall any instance where the trailers are of better quality than the feature film. With the plethora of 2 disc SE's, I wish more studios would take the time to make all widescreen trailers 16x9, with 5.1 audio. There are so few of those and trailers would make great demo selections. Of course, with 1 disc editions, that might be a matter of saving space and I'd rather have the feature get all the glory.

Bruce

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Sometimes the trailers contain scenes that have been chemically treated differently then the way they're presented in the feature. For example, in the trailer for Narc all of the scenes have normal lighting and coloring to them, while in the movie, particularly when Tellis and Oak are arguing outside of the widow's house, the film has a very dark blue and gray look.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Yeah, specific examples would be nice..

The only ones I can think of right now are Die Hard with a Vengeance (night and day, really) and probably The Phantom Menace.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Trailers are often lower in bitrate. You could make a 130x100 Quicktime video of a heavily worn 8mm print and it would look good. It's all about resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks