What's new

"Touch of Evil" Audio Commentary (1 Viewer)

BobLAR

Auditioning
Does anyone know why the audio commentary recorded with Janet Leigh, Charlton Heston and Rick Schmidlin was not released with the 1998 restored version DVD? Listening to the track it is obvious that it was recorded at the time the Restored Version had a theatrical run, so why wasn't it included in the DVD release later that year? Seems strange that this commentary has been locked away for 10 years. On a side note, Re-Edit Producer Rick Schmidlin states that Welles' 58-page memo was written after Orson viewed a cut once WITHOUT taking any notes, but on page 32 of the memo Orson refers to writing a note in the dark projection room while viewing the film. So it appears that Rick's comment seems to be wrong.

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator
I'm fairly sure that this has been discussed elsewhere here at HTF but the general understanding seems to be that Beatrice Welles objected to comments made in the documentary and in the audio commentary so the decision was made to release the original DVD without these elements - Beatrice Welles is well known for frequently threatening legal action in matters relating to her father's films. She is, to put it mildly, a controversial figure within the Welles fan community and was directly responsible for the version of OTHELLO which is now most easily available but which created a brand new soundtrack which remixed the original dialogue with a newly recorded version of the music track.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
As I understand it, Beatrice Welles threatened litigation regarding the whole restoration. Somehow, the DVD was put out in 2000 without the commentary or the documentary. For the 50th Anniversary, they've been able to include the commentary at last, and they've re-edited the original documentary into the 2 featurettes now in the set. Not sure what got edited out.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Good to finally see the SE stuff get out of the vault. I recall seeing the docu many moons ago when it aired on Starz (one time only methinks, might not have been Starz either) and I think the filler was clips from the movie. I can't be for sure but I think it's the whole doc but just edited differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks